Prius Packages

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 04:08 PM
Site Founder

Apparently the Prius is only available in 4 packages now, so says the Prius website in the "build" section. Did they stop making the others?

Old 04-22-2004, 02:24 AM
Enthusiast

Jason,
I am not positive but try a different zip code and see what packages become available. I believe I heard that some areas of the country can only get certain packages. There also could have been a change as they now offer leather, optional tires, etc. Have fun, Rick

Old 04-24-2004, 07:10 PM
Enthusiast

only three packages available in zipcode 19343

Old 05-23-2004, 10:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

In Northern California, there are only 3 available packages. According to my dealer (Sunnyvale Toyota), the reason is that with such a high demand for the car, Toyota is limiting the production to just 3 option packages to improve the manufacturing process and provide more available cars. As production increases and the demand is met, Toyota will probably add the other packages.

Old 05-26-2004, 08:32 AM
Enthusiast

I believe that right now only package 4, 7 and 9 are available.

I have recently been looking at the Prius and I have heard conflicting reports from two dealers in the Washington, DC metro area.

One told me that they received an e-mail from Toyota that basically said certain packages were being discontinued in order to try to meet consumer demand. He wrote me the following:

> Second is what packages you can order. Previously Toyota only allowed
> packages 4, 7, and 9 to be built. That's changed. To speed up production
> Toyota has cut out special orders on the Prius and only are allowing
> packages 4, 5, and 8. The reason it changed was it took to long to make the
> top #9 with everything. Moving from 7 to 5 was easy because almost to a
> person everyone wanted the 6 cd changer and cassette player with upgraded
> speakers. #7 didn't have that.
>
> They kept #4 because it's a good all around package, popular, and they were
> already building them.

However, I spoke to another local dealer on the phone who said that they had also received the e-mail from Toyota but that this was not a definite change in available packages and that they had yet to have a confirmation that this was going to happen. He said that their most current knowledge is that shipments arriving in November to December should still be package 4, 7 and 9, but after that they are not sure.

Old 05-26-2004, 01:19 PM
Enthusiast

Howdy ya'll first post here . . .

When my wife and I ordered ours (4/8/04 in Dallas, TX) we were told that the only option packages available were 4, 5, and 8. That corresponded with what we observed online filling out the "build your own" under our zip code on the Toyota website.

We attended a hybrid meet up here in Dallas last week and a gentleman there told us the regional distributor had declined to carry certain packages, specifically package #9.

I don't know if it is a regional thing or an overall production strategy, but it sure is frustrating for the consumer!

Old 05-26-2004, 05:45 PM
Enthusiast

Hi there! I just put my order in two weeks ago, and the slsperson told me "they're only making pkg 3 and 9"; he also told me it's a 12 mo wait!

Old 05-26-2004, 05:46 PM
Enthusiast

oops! forgot to mention I'm in the Chicago area...

Old 05-26-2004, 11:51 PM
Enthusiast

I bought my 04 Prius in OCT 03 in DeKalb, IL and all the packages were available. I chose #9 and it is awesome. My mileage finally went above 50 mpg combined for the first time. Press your dealer for the options you want. They have ways to get things done when they want to.