HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

CVT fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 09:45 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: CVT fluid

Folks;

I don't know if I can add much more value to this thread, but I figured I could reinforce the alternate "official" perspective on the regular servicing of the Honda Gen 3 CVT.

As I mentioned before, I know first hand (only from Honda Canada) that it does not recommend that the regular CVT H-ATF be replaced more than once, unless there are reasons justifying 2x or 3x to be performed.

In all fairness they do not disapprove of it either, on the contrary it can only help and they are certainly not against it if that is what you prefer.

Again, please check with your dealer if you need additional details.
For those of you with service literature you will notice that the 3X fluid replacement is the recommended procedure for resolving CVT issues. It is pretty explicit. The normal service routine does not require a similar approach unless the service personnel deems it necessary... or of course, you desire it to be so.

Cheers;

MSantos

Last edited by msantos; 12-03-2007 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well I put another 350 miles on my civic this weekend, after the oil change & trans fluid change. it was all freeway but never the less it was city to get home & it runs & feels just so smooth. I use Mobil 0-20 full synthetic.
The flush fluid was genuyine Honda CVT fluid with a letter following but I forgot what it was but it was from a Honda & they understood it was for the civic cvt.
It was so easy I think some people don’t understand by draining the Trans all the fluid will not drain out. It holds a total of 9 quarts. But after 3 times it is clear again.
I called two dealers to find out how much & one dealer said we only drain & fill once @ $65.00. I said the glove box book says to do it 3 times. They said it isn’t necessary. The second dealer said they do as the book requires to drain & fill 3 times. I'm happy with what I did.
JC

Old 12-04-2007, 05:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
Anand... The change interval will end up being about 28,000 mi., based upon my maintenance minder. I don't think that's unreasonable for a transmission service.
This brings up a good point... My maint. minder said to change the CVT fluid at 24K mi. I definitely think it needed it and can see a difference, but it said to change the fluid at my 4th oil change, which would have been 30K miles if I had changed the engine oil every 7500 mi (I change it usually around 6K or so). DOes the minder go by the actual condition of the CVT or engine oil or simply by the # of miles, or # of oil changes performed for the CVT fluid indicator?

Old 12-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Mike, was it you that had trouble with your CVT running really hot? H

Old 12-04-2007, 08:59 PM

I think it goes by miles Mike. It may also factor in how hard you are on the CVT, but I'm not positive about either of those.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Harold
Mike, was it you that had trouble with your CVT running really hot? H
Yes. I never did find a leak from the plug or anything else to explain the smell and my mysterious burning smell has never reappeared after the fluid change x2 (6 qts total) despite several longer freeway trips and lots of stop/ go rush hour driving. My mpgs went up noticeably and the trans rarely if ever "bucks." The dealer couldn't find a problem but the old fluid was obviosuly much more viscous than the new and the magnetic drain plug had LOTS of crap on it. I'm hoping it was just break-in.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:06 PM

I guess that is all you can do for now. I would keep a eye on the CVT dip stick for any change in the oil color! H

Old 12-06-2007, 10:43 AM

Speaking of dip stick. Has anyone noticed the CVT fluid seems to "contract," for lack of a better term, in really cold weather (~15 deg. this morning). When cold, the reading is almost off the stick entirely even though nothing has changed.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:20 PM

That is normal with auto type trans..Check level when its hot. Oil expands as it heats up. H

Old 12-07-2007, 11:18 PM

Just got a note from a friend who works at Honda corporate. I asked him to confirm Honda's position on the CVT fluid change. The official word? Normal maintenance is just the single fluid drain and fill UNLESS you find metal shavings in the fluid. Then the 3x drain & fill is used.

Glad to get the official word on this. It'll save me lots of $$$ on fluid!

Quick Reply: CVT fluid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands