Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: CVT fluid

That is my plan, have honda do the CVT and I hope they only use three qts. H

Old 11-26-2007, 09:04 PM

Other than the owners manual are there any other credible sources that suggest a 3x fill/drain?
The service manual has a section on the scheduled maintenance intervals. If it is anywhere, it would be in there.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:45 AM

Most people have used the one flush method, unless problems talked about by masntos, then they go with the three flush method. H

Old 11-29-2007, 08:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

I did the three time flush tonight. I just turned 30,358 miles.
I bought the fluid for $5.59 plus tax per quart through my brothers body shop.
Yes a savings doing it myself so I used the whole 12 quarts.
It was starting to chatter & was not smooth operating anymore.
The service minder said to service the trans. SO
I took off the full plastic cover & changed the engine oil,
Mobil Synthetic 0-20 & filter.
I then drained & refilled the trans with 3 quarts ( after measuring the drained amount to make sure).
I then backed her off the ramps & went on a 2 mile city ride & returned.
The first drain fluid was black, the second was clearer & the last one was like watrer. I noticed a increditable smooth operation from rom the trans in just the first flush & then better with the second but then it didnt make a difference after that , the fluid just got cleaner.
I am glad I changed the fluid. I just used a long trans funnel & poured it in the dip stick tube (slowley)
I dont worry about the cost of the fluid, I do the work myself & benifit the good gas mileage & savings on labor. I really enjoy the car.
It is worth it & I pity those people who dont read the manual & dont service there transmission.
I read a lot about the trans flush, the fluid, the transmission today on this forum & i'm glad for the imformation and happy to share my experience.
JC

Old 11-29-2007, 08:43 PM

Grounded, did you use Honda CVT oil, or Auto trans. oil? H

Old 11-30-2007, 11:35 AM

Thanks (everyone) for your input! Still a bit confused on which way I'll go with this. I have no chattering or performance issues whatsoever. Of course, I want to keep it that way... so perhaps I'll do a 2x drain and fill to compromise!

As for cost, I saw Bernardi's price... but by the time you include shipping, we're probably back to the $9 per quart that the dealer's parts department charges. Does anyone else have any sources for cheaper CVT fluid? Anyone in So Cal want to trade some CVT fluid for some Genuine Honda 0W-20 motor oil (I have six gallons of that stuff!!!)?

Old 11-30-2007, 01:31 PM

Jeff, do you not use the 0-20 Honda mtr. oil? H

Old 11-30-2007, 03:03 PM

I do use it, but six gallons will last me a very LONG time! So the next question is "Why did you buy six gallons of very expensive oil?" ANSWER: A friend works for the company Honda buys the oil from. He got me a great deal on two cases of the stuff! Too bad they don't also make the CVT fluid, or I'd be in GREAT shape!

Old 11-30-2007, 03:38 PM

Do you know if the honda 0-20 is synthetic?H

Old 11-30-2007, 04:02 PM

Ahhhh... the age-old question! I did ask him. I believe his answer was that it was a blend. Not a pure synthetic, but a combination. Whatever it is, it works! Great mileage and long change intervals. I love it.

Incidentally, I have used the Mobil one 0W-20 (still have four quarts of that left, too!). I did not notice any change in MPG between the two products.

Quick Reply: CVT fluid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands