Old 11-30-2007, 06:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: CVT fluid

Thank you, Jeff. Very good infoe. H

Old 12-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by grounded

I did the three time flush tonight. I just turned 30,358 miles.
I bought the fluid for $5.59 plus tax per quart through my brothers body shop.
Yes a savings doing it myself so I used the whole 12 quarts.
It was starting to chatter & was not smooth operating anymore.
The service minder said to service the trans. SO
I took off the full plastic cover & changed the engine oil,
Mobil Synthetic 0-20 & filter.
I then drained & refilled the trans with 3 quarts ( after measuring the drained amount to make sure).
I then backed her off the ramps & went on a 2 mile city ride & returned.
The first drain fluid was black, the second was clearer & the last one was like watrer. I noticed a increditable smooth operation from rom the trans in just the first flush & then better with the second but then it didnt make a difference after that , the fluid just got cleaner.
I am glad I changed the fluid. I just used a long trans funnel & poured it in the dip stick tube (slowley)
I dont worry about the cost of the fluid, I do the work myself & benifit the good gas mileage & savings on labor. I really enjoy the car.
It is worth it & I pity those people who dont read the manual & dont service there transmission.
I read a lot about the trans flush, the fluid, the transmission today on this forum & i'm glad for the imformation and happy to share my experience.
JC
I experienced similar issues with my CVT. THe "rubber-band" effect was becoming extremely annoying, and the CVT was sluggish with lower mpgs. I changed it x2, with the first being awful and the second much better (dark pink). I highly suggest a x2 flush, especially for the first time. For the extra $20 or so it's worth it to extend the trans life. I ordered from Bernardi and I think it was more around $7.50/ qt all said and done, though I ordered air filters and so forth as well to maximize the value of the shipping costs. Be careful what you order, some items appeared to possibly run up the shipping cost (due to haz mat perhaps?).

Old 12-01-2007, 08:02 PM

I checked the service manual and it says to only do it once. I don't think doing it 3X will hurt though.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:04 PM

What is causing this oil to barnish? My CVT seems to be very smooth and I will be very unhappy if I notice the CVT oil turning dark .I have approx. 9000 mile on my HCH2. I wonder if the oil is not doing the job that Honda intended it to do. Maybe we should be looking at using a synthetic fluid? That oil should last much longer than 30,000 miles

Old 12-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Enthusiast

When exactly is this oil change needed? I was under the impression that Civic Hybrid require less maintenance than a regular civic?? I am about to purchase the HCH 2007 tomorrow. This is scaring me.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:25 PM

Nothing to worry about Anand. HCH is good car. Only looking for information on the CVT. H

Old 12-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Think green.

I think the maintenance interval for the CVT fluid change is at 30,000 miles.
You can ask the dealer tomorrow; I'm sure they can give you an idea of the maintenance schedule.
Also, if you sign up at my honda.com, you can obtain the maintenance schedules for your 2007.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by giantquesadilla
I checked the service manual and it says to only do it once. I don't think doing it 3X will hurt though.
Thanks, Colby! That's what I was hoping for. I'll buy enough CVT fluid to do 2x (6 qts) just in case what I pull out of there looks bad. Like I said, everything's running smooth as silk at 24,000 mi.

Anand... The change interval will end up being about 28,000 mi., based upon my maintenance minder. I don't think that's unreasonable for a transmission service. I know that lots of newer automatic transmissions have higher change intervals (or no change intervals!), but just a few years ago, 30k was the norm. This ISN'T an automatic transmission, so it's reasonable to expect about 30k. It's also only 3 quarts (for 1x change), and there's no filter to change, either.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

wonder why wanna save on little bit of money and spend more later?

i've own few auto cars and i've being flushing them very early stage of the cycle
abt first 10km travelled, then every 20km, syn oil offer smoother ride
honda recommended 3x changing mimick the flushing
we must throughly clean the auto trans compartment else its equal to changing

what is changing?
drain and top up with new oil
but given the auto trans setup, you can only removed 30% of the dirty oil
unlike engine oil draining we can remove up to 70% of dirt
so honda recommended 3x maybe cleans the compartment up to 60% or more

what is flushing?
continuious toping up of new oil while removing them at the same time
all done with a flushing machine, till the draining pipe show clear oil
the operation stops
with a 3litres capacity you may need up to 13litres for the setup
if usage patterns involves lots of start/stop/idling travelling, that may increase till 15 or more

cvt the more expensive part of our car, pls do not cut corners there

Old 12-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Enthusiast

ok...thank you for the reply. I feel better. I was getting a feeling that there are major service requirements than what I had thought.

Quick Reply: CVT fluid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands