HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Need help with Prolong Battery Discharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 09:12 AM
Enthusiast
Default Need help with Prolong Battery Discharger

I bought a Prolong Battery Discharger on ebay and I have tried to use several times, but it does not seem to work. I opened up the case to see if it had an internal fuse that might be blown. I did not find an internal fuse and I did not spot any obvious problem that suggested anything has burned out, but the unit does have a loose wire. I have attached pictures. Does anyone know where this wire is supposed to connect? I can't believe that this wire with a loop style connector is supposed to just be loose within the case.

Is anyone familiar with this unit? Or have one and want to take a couple minutes to open the lid and see where should be connected.

I think maybe it is supposed to just be connected to one of the mounts to the pcb on the lower surface of unit.

I have sent photos to the Hybrid Automotive folks but they were only interested in having me ship the unit to them for possible repair, they did not seem interested in just telling me where that wire should be connected.

Thanks

Mike

Old 03-16-2021, 09:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Need help with Prolong Battery Discharger

Originally Posted by MCoday
I bought a Prolong Battery Discharger on ebay and I have tried to use several times, but it does not seem to work. I opened up the case to see if it had an internal fuse that might be blown. I did not find an internal fuse and I did not spot any obvious problem that suggested anything has burned out, but the unit does have a loose wire. I have attached pictures. Does anyone know where this wire is supposed to connect? I can't believe that this wire with a loop style connector is supposed to just be loose within the case.

Is anyone familiar with this unit? Or have one and want to take a couple minutes to open the lid and see where should be connected.

I think maybe it is supposed to just be connected to one of the mounts to the pcb on the lower surface of unit.

I have sent photos to the Hybrid Automotive folks but they were only interested in having me ship the unit to them for possible repair, they did not seem interested in just telling me where that wire should be connected.

Thanks

Mike
You don't see a fuse?

With a PCB label like "TH1", and it's position, I suspect that's an internal temperature sensor.

Old 03-16-2021, 11:34 AM
Enthusiast

Not my best moment. Thanks for the help. I was expecting to find an inline fuse like the one that Prolong uses inside their charger. I checked this fuse, guess what? It's blown. Ok, going to try a new fuse and leaving that wire loose and see what happens.

Thank you, Steve

Old 03-16-2021, 12:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

We all have days like that. Hopefully that does it.