General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

Chevrolet Volt concept... plug-in hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 01:47 PM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Re: Chevrolet Volt concept... plug-in hybrid

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
GREAT!

I'll stop by the Honda dealer on the way home tonight and take one for a test drive. After all, they are 'real', right?

Bob Wilson
I was thinking the same thing! I didn't see an FCX on the showroom floor the last time I got the oil changed on my HCH. And qnnouncing that a car "might" be ready by 2018 is just about meaningless.

From what I've read, the only real thing holding up the E-Flex car is hammering out some contracts with some reliable battery suppliers.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:20 PM
Banned

I didn't say they were ready for production, only that there are a number made already which is more than we can say about the Volt

Really guys why so angry at me for stating my concern over GM's ability to follow thru on this vehicle? Like it or not, GM has proven themselves to be of questionable vision over the whole Green Transportation issue.

Sorry I started this flame war with my opinions. I will try to steer clear of those that dont like to hear my opinions. The list is established.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:13 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'd buy a Volt after 1 year in production, let them work the bugs out.

And it could look like a Vega, I'd trade in my Insight.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:29 PM
Dazed and Confused

I still want to know who James is.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ag4ever
you mean Martin?

Last edited by Marmaduke; 01-22-2007 at 07:52 PM. Reason: to make Martin like me
Old 01-22-2007, 08:21 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
GREAT!

I'll stop by the Honda dealer on the way home tonight and take one for a test drive. After all, they are 'real', right?

Bob Wilson
I was thinking the same thing. Having more than one built (strictly for publicity and shows) is not even close to making it 'real'. This technology is years away from being affordable - if ever. That's the biggest hurdle.
With any luck, an EV Prius may be ready by 2009 or so.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gumby
I was thinking the same thing. Having more than one built (strictly for publicity and shows) is not even close to making it 'real'. This technology is years away from being affordable - if ever. That's the biggest hurdle.
With any luck, an EV Prius may be ready by 2009 or so.
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...&postcount=122

Last edited by Marmaduke; 01-22-2007 at 08:31 PM. Reason: to make me feel like a real man.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:35 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ag4ever
I do too. It's like a mystery now...

Old 01-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by martinjlm
I spent a few minutes at the exhibit for one of the Chinese manufacturers at the North American International Auto Show. I was literally embarrased for the people who were obligated to be there to staff the show. If that's their best and brightest, they have at least a decade before they can be what Hyundai and Kia were 5 years ago.

If they follow the Hyundai / Kia path and improve at a similar rate, then maybe we have 7 years before they can provide product that is capable of meeting North American safety and durability standards, then a few more years before the product is truly viewed by the American consumer as desireable. We know the Chinese are very capable of manufacturing quality product. Where they are currently behind is in design and development. Without literally stealing intellectual property from western and Japanese automakers that are partnered with Chinese automakers, they will have a significant learning curve to climb before they can go it on their own. They will get there. It will just take some time.

Peace,

Martin
Martin/James -

Having spent the last eight years of my life fighting against the technology transfer to China, I can add a few comments.

First of all, I tire of hearing about parallels between China and Japan/Korea. Simply put, China has put two people (that we know of), in space & returned them safely. They do not "develop" technology, they buy and misappropriate it. Intel is about to realize their HUGE mistake in opening two microprossor plants VERY soon.

It will take very little time for China to ruin the American auto industry. Wth no direct offense intended, I still think we should save up for flowers, once GM enters the ICU.

Last edited by Kraken; 01-22-2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by martinjlm
I have reconsidered my opinion, and I now know that Johnny is right. I learned today that GM is scrapping the Volt in favor of a new H4 hummer. It is bigger than the original H1!.

I was so offended that I quit on the spot. I am interviewing tomorrow with Honda to be the Program manager for the FCX program.

Wish me luck

Peace,

Martin
Good luck Martin. I am pulling for you.

Last edited by Marmaduke; 01-22-2007 at 10:22 PM. Reason: this ought to get martin to like me

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Volt concept... plug-in hybrid

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands