General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

Chevrolet Volt concept... plug-in hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Banned
Default Re: Chevrolet Volt concept... plug-in hybrid

Originally Posted by martinjlm
Karken & Ag4ever,

You both raise some very good points. .....
Peace,

James
I thought your name was Martin

And based on your manner of interacting with me and the other GM dislikers, I guess that you must be a GM official. I understand the reason you have decided to attack me.

Sorry Martin or James, or whatever your name is, I didn't realize you worked for GM. I thought you were just an enthusiast like the majority of this forum's members. Maybe if you were to change your title to GM Program Manager, this all would have been avoided.

One question though: Doesn't GM have a website? Why are you posting your marketing announcements here?

Old 01-22-2007, 09:49 AM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by Kraken
For what it's worth, once the Chinese hardware begins to hit our shores, GM will have to be moved to the ICU & put on life support.
I spent a few minutes at the exhibit for one of the Chinese manufacturers at the North American International Auto Show. I was literally embarrased for the people who were obligated to be there to staff the show. If that's their best and brightest, they have at least a decade before they can be what Hyundai and Kia were 5 years ago.

If they follow the Hyundai / Kia path and improve at a similar rate, then maybe we have 7 years before they can provide product that is capable of meeting North American safety and durability standards, then a few more years before the product is truly viewed by the American consumer as desireable. We know the Chinese are very capable of manufacturing quality product. Where they are currently behind is in design and development. Without literally stealing intellectual property from western and Japanese automakers that are partnered with Chinese automakers, they will have a significant learning curve to climb before they can go it on their own. They will get there. It will just take some time.

Peace,

Martin

Old 01-22-2007, 09:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by martinjlm aka James
I spent a few minutes at the exhibit for one of the Chinese manufacturers at the North American International Auto Show. I was literally embarrassed for the people who were obligated to be there to staff the show. If that's their best and brightest, they have at least a decade before they can be what Hyundai and Kia were 5 years ago.

Peace,

Martin
That is the classic arrogant GM position that has driven them to the brink of bankruptcy

Last edited by Marmaduke; 01-22-2007 at 10:08 AM. Reason: cuz I kant spel
Old 01-22-2007, 10:08 AM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ag4ever
Do I think we should cut Martin a bit of slack since he provides us with information none of the other manufacturers provide us? Yes.

Where is somebody from Toyota?

Where is somebody from Honda?

Lets listen to what he has to say, but lets not shoot the messenger.

Good point, and I agree here. Where's toyota or honda's timeline for EV or series hybrids?

Some experts predict that such a battery – or a similar battery – could be production-ready by 2010 to 2012........."

Several companies (including Cobasys / Chevron) are working on developing lighter weight and higher cpacity lithium ion batteries, so we'll see if / when / how that piece of the puzzle comes together.
I'm glad to hear to GM is relying on other battery companies and not just Cobasys. It doesnt seem it's in their (Cobasys) best interests to help the Volt succeed, even if it is a 100mpg hybrid and not an EV...unless it is in their interest to be n on this so they can STALL the Volt production plans.

Originally Posted by tbaleno
Maybe thats what your people are telling you, but having talked to A123 and Johnson Controls, I know that the batteries are ready to go. And they are just chomping at the bit to put them in.
That and the fact that AltairNano already has one that is way more than good enough for "hybrid" and in production. (the only thing is Phoenix motorcars has exclusive rights until 2010). But by then, even Cobasys cant stall any longer.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by Kraken
Sorry, I'm a little late to this party. For my two cents, GM's attempt to market vaporware (Volt) does not absolve them from burying a legitimate design. The "EV-3" (or 4) could have worked beyond the infrastructure issues. We're talking about recharging batteries here, not cracking hydrogen or putting a man on the moon.

Just my OPINION...
I think the Volt is less vaporous than the Honda FCX. C'mon! The FCX has a release date of 2018?! Ha ha ha! And don't fuel cell cars cost a million dollars each and only last 50,000 miles? Right.

I think we'll see a Voltish product from GM. Maybe it'll be 2011 or 2012 instead of 2010, but I really believe they'll build it.

I don't care if they ever build a FCV because that technology is just an expensive hustle.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Banned

The FCX is not just a concept, it is real. I have seen it at the Fuel Cel show last spring in Palm Springs. There are more than just one too.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marmaduke
That is the classic arrogant GM position that has driven them to the brink of bankruptcy
I think Martin dervers more credit than that. At least he's bringing another perspective, and he's informative (and puts up with a lot of BS from this forum). Your choice if you don't want to believe him.

I think the explanation is plausable. In addition, does anyone think the Chinese are actually going to compete in the SUV and Truck market (right away, anyway)? I think if anyone is going to be challenged by Chinese cars it's going to be Hyundai and Kia. They're not going to enter the market with a $38,000 SUV or a $35,000 luxury sedan. Anyway, if the parts are that good and that cheap, it's more likely that GM will buy those components for their cars and eliminate a lot of possible head-to-head competition in the same market.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Chevrolet Volt concept... plug-in hybrid

Originally Posted by Marmaduke
The FCX is not just a concept, it is real. I have seen it at the Fuel Cel show last spring in Palm Springs. There are more than just one too.
GREAT!

I'll stop by the Honda dealer on the way home tonight and take one for a test drive. After all, they are 'real', right?

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 01-22-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Banned

I strongly second Tim's assertion that martinjlm has offered a lot of valuable information in a setting that can often be unfriendly. A few people here actually saw the Chevy Volt at the 2007 NAIAS - wish it was practical I could have made the trip. I hope GM's green trek will finally go the way Peyton Manning's career just did.

Old 01-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Banned

The answer would surprise you. And that is NOT sarcasm.

Program manager for Ford maybe?

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Volt concept... plug-in hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands