General EV Discussion Discuss electric only vehicles (Tesla, Volt etc.)

Chevrolet Volt concept... plug-in hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast
Default Re: Chevrolet Volt concept... plug-in hybrid

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
Hopefully the Volt will *BE* the new and improved EV3. If they build it for 2010 and do so for under $30k, I'll be one of the first to buy one. And I'll also forgive GM.
For the benefit of any GM marketing type listening in, if what Ashen says becomes true, I'd be the second one to buy one.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Enthusiast

The Volt is here and it's gonna be hot.

Old 04-01-2007, 07:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

In case no one saw it on the front page..... thus we see, the Volt is likely nothing more than "vaporware" as suspected

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...303260003/1001

Old 04-02-2007, 07:50 AM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
In case no one saw it on the front page..... thus we see, the Volt is likely nothing more than "vaporware" as suspected

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...303260003/1001
Actually nothing has changed from anything that was said at the North American International Auto Show. All you are seeing is a shift in winds of the media's interpretation of what has consistently been said from day one, which is.......

When and if the Volt (or at least something using the eFlex technology) will be built is dependent on realizing expected improvements in cost and efficiency of Lithium Ion battery technology. In the meantime, development continues, assuming there will be a vehicle when all is said and done.

During and after NAIAS, the media was hyped and very optimistic in their reporting on the Volt. Now that the show aura has subsided and people are reflecting on what was really said, as opposed to what they think they heard, the reporting is decidedly more pessimistic in some corners. So what's changed? Nothing. It is what it is. Volt is a concept vehicle that, given the right circumstances, could someday be built. Same was true of the Camaro two years ago and the Tahoe 2-Mode 3 years ago. Both will be built.

Peace,

Martin

Old 04-02-2007, 10:55 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Interesting article, but I'm not sure why it's such a big deal that a concept car might not get built. Every auto maker builds concepts that never make it. Also, unless one of the auto makers owns a secret patent on battery technology that no one knows about, seems like everyone has to wait for Lithium bettery tech to mature - not just GM.

What will be interesting is the 09 Prius, which may represent the next big leap in fuel economy. If that car can get 80+ MPG without being plugged in, it will create a difficult stardard for the all-electrics to match (when you consider $ to recharge and the possibility of using a gas engine as a generator, as in the Volt). You can't arrive on the scene with an EV that costs the same (or more) to run than an existing Prius.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Engineering first

Hi Paul,

Originally Posted by Tim
. . .
What will be interesting is the 09 Prius, which may represent the next big leap in fuel economy. If that car can get 80+ MPG without being plugged in, it will create a difficult stardard for the all-electrics to match . . .
Just a word of caution. To get from new EPA, 46 MPG to 80 MPG would take substantial engineering changes:

1) remarkable ICE efficiency improvement
2) remarkable vehicle drag reduction

Such changes are possible but the vehicle would be substantially different. This isn't impossible, just difficult. Now if you said 60-65 MPG for 2009 using new EPA, I think that is possible.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-03-2007, 03:27 AM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by martinjlm
During and after NAIAS, the media was hyped and very optimistic in their reporting on the Volt. Now that the show aura has subsided and people are reflecting on what was really said, as opposed to what they think they heard, the reporting is decidedly more pessimistic in some corners. So what's changed? Nothing. It is what it is. Volt is a concept vehicle that, given the right circumstances, could someday be built. Same was true of the Camaro two years ago and the Tahoe 2-Mode 3 years ago. Both will be built.

Peace,

Martin
The Tahoe hybrid has not yet been built either. GM only has two hybrids for Sale: Silverado (in VERY limited quantities) and Vue (which I read is about to be discontinued).

Old 04-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Hi Paul,

Just a word of caution. To get from new EPA, 46 MPG to 80 MPG would take substantial engineering changes:

1) remarkable ICE efficiency improvement
2) remarkable vehicle drag reduction

Such changes are possible but the vehicle would be substantially different. This isn't impossible, just difficult. Now if you said 60-65 MPG for 2009 using new EPA, I think that is possible.

Bob Wilson
Hi Bob,

I'm only quoting what I've read - and it's all sketchy at best. I've read 90, 80, but no real description if that's using a plug-in feature or not. I think a 90 MPG Prius that plugs in would be very successful, and so long as it's suitable to spend 2 hrs a day in, would likely be my next car. If it got 60-65, that would be OK (listen to me, 60 MPG is "OK"... ) but I'm looking for the next thing worth parting with my HCH over. 60-65 might do it if it was well appointed and had the options I'm missing in the Civic. But really I view that as an incremental improvement, not "next generation".

Old 04-04-2007, 12:45 AM
Proud to be GM

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
The Tahoe hybrid has not yet been built either. GM only has two hybrids for Sale: Silverado (in VERY limited quantities) and Vue (which I read is about to be discontinued).
I did say that the Tahoe / Yukon hybrids WILL be built, not that they are currently in production. Timing has been set for launch. Just like the next gen Prius hasn't been built yet, but we're all pretty darn certain it will be.

Also, I wouldn't describe the VUE as "discontinued" if discontinued is defined as "gone for good". Remember, the VUE is undergoing a TOTAL redesign for 2008 and is, in fact, being built at a totally different plant. When the '08 launches, it will be followed a few months later by a BAS application. That will be followed by a 2-Mode application. So the VUE is not GONE, it's "on hiatus".

Peace,

Martin

Old 04-04-2007, 05:36 AM
Engineering first

Hi Paul,
Originally Posted by Tim
. . . I'm only quoting what I've read - and it's all sketchy at best. I've read 90, 80, but no real description if that's using a plug-in feature or not. . . .
I was just trying to suggest a little skepticism. I'd like to see 80 MPG and know it is possible. Just I've been looking at Prius performance reports and my own energy studies (still continuing.) Going to 60-65 MPG is practical but it gets much harder to go much over this. I appreciate that you're only sharing what someone else had reported.

Now I like the bullet 'concept' prius. It looks like a serious attempt to minimize drag and I suspect, weight, although without the door posts, side crash resistance will be a challenge. The ICE is already at 33-36% efficient and I suspect that could extend to 36-40% in some rpm ranges with exhaust heat recovery and electric coolant pump. These are the types of radical changes needed to reach 80 MPG.

Please keep sharing. I can be pursaded with good backup data and if you come across more technical details, I'm all ears.

Bob Wilson

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Volt concept... plug-in hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands