Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

what are gas prices at for you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: what are gas prices at for you?

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
1) gas prices do not seem to vary as much in Greece from station to station as they do in the US. I saw prices between .955 (Euro cents per liter) and 1.085, a variation of .13 Euro cents over about eight cities in nearly two weeks. Factor in an exchange rate of about 1.35, and you get a price difference in US$ of 0.1755. Maybe there's a little less market volatility there? I haven't tried converting from gallons to liters because I honestly don't know if they use imperial gallons or whatever in Greece, so perhaps I'm off.
The prices would be between $4.89 and $5.55 per gallon US.

OUCH

The high end is about double the $2.79 I see here today.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Here is SoCal (Long Beach) the range of regular is from 3.23 - 3.41/g. Add . 10/g for each grade over 87.

Last edited by centrider; 04-24-2007 at 04:05 PM. Reason: wrong prices
Old 04-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Methinks you are in a time warp.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:12 PM

As mentioned earlier, Europe's higher prices are because they tax gas, which is the way it should be. That we tax food but not gas in the US is just stupid.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by SoopahMan
As mentioned earlier, Europe's higher prices are because they tax gas, which is the way it should be. That we tax food but not gas in the US is just stupid.
In the US gas is taxed at a higher rate than food.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SoopahMan

??????????????????

Maybe you should qualify this.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:45 PM

We tax gasoline in the US. Individual states tax it and there is a federal tax. Some places add local tax. In theory gasoline taxes are collected and used for road and bridge work. To say that gasoline is not taxed is certainly not true.

Restaurant meals are taxed, but groceries are not taxed in New York State. So it also not true to say that food is taxed.

http://www.retirementliving.com/RLst...tml#NEW%20YORK

Harry

Old 04-24-2007, 06:07 PM

I once had a discussion with a friend over the reason(s) why gas in Calif. seems to be much more than the rest of the country. It insisted it was our taxes. I was able to prove that other states had higher taxes than Calif.

Perhaps Europeans can give us an idea of what their gas taxes are and what they're used for. But you can see what the reaction to the Greece story was (one of the best posts in my opinion).

Taxing policy is uneven to say the least. Sales' taxes for example are inelastic and tend to hit the poor harder than the less so, which of course also takes in gas taxes.

One of the neatest ideas I heard was to use the tax to pay for auto insurance.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by centrider
I once had a discussion with a friend over the reason(s) why gas in Calif. seems to be much more than the rest of the country. It insisted it was our taxes. I was able to prove that other states had higher taxes than Calif.

Perhaps Europeans can give us an idea of what their gas taxes are and what they're used for. But you can see what the reaction to the Greece story was (one of the best posts in my opinion).
California requires the use special gasolines. These “Special” fuels are part of a regulated environmental program aimed at reducing carbon monoxide, smog, and air toxics. California’s (State-required oxygenated) reformulated, and low-volatility fuels also evaporates more slowly. This “Special” gas cost considerably more to produce than conventional gas you’ll find through the rest of the U.S.

Originally Posted by centrider
One of the neatest ideas I heard was to use the tax to pay for auto insurance.
Such a program forces a fair share of insurance costs which rewards bad drivers and increases the costs to good drivers. It would also make drivers less cautious, causes an increase in claims from the most mundane of incidents. Car insurance would fall within the same class/attitude as health insurance. Whether a small ding or a paper cut, it’s covered. Make a claim.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:14 PM

I saw 3.57/g in Newport Beach, CA. . .

Quick Reply: what are gas prices at for you?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands