Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Congratulations Hyper-Milers!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 12:41 AM
Wannabe Hypermiler
Default Re: Congratulations Hyper-Milers!

Originally Posted by RickWorth
Do any of you HyperMilers cause road-rage via slow take-offs or substandard accellerations? I am not trying to be abrasive in my question. I have a Prius, and the only way I can see getting the kind of milage you guys tout would be to accellerate very slowly (using only the battery) and then somehow maintaining that "sweet-spot" in speed where the battery does the majority of the workload. This would mean often-times driving at a rate that would more than likely irritate everyone else on the road. In short, I need to find out your secrets...
"Road rage" is relative to the driver. I drive 60MPH in the slow lane consistently to achieve decent mileage and there are people who tailgate and overtake me, probably causing "road rage". But prior to my HCH, I drove 75-85MPH in my Honda Accord in the fast or third lanes, and there were still people who tailgated and overtook me.

Yeah I drive slow, but its still above the minimum speed limit and I do it in the slow lane. Those who chose to drive over the speed limit shouldn't be in the slow lane in the first place and any "irritation" is their own problem. In fact, their behavior causes road rage from me.

If everyone had the fuel consumption display gauges we have in our hybrids, everyone would see the effect of their driving behavior on fuel economy. Driving slower would be the rule, not the exception.

Old 08-12-2006, 12:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

How did this thread go from congratulations to road rage?

Where are the moderators?

Old 08-12-2006, 07:00 PM

Mostly we are only allowed to delete/edit offensive posts. Not much we can do about off topic except ask people to stay on topic or lock the thread. I don't think locking the thread would be appropriate.

Thanks hawkGT647 for pointing out this thread has gone off topic.

Okay guys you heard the man! Lets get back on topic! Create a new thread if you want to continue with the off-topic conversation.

Old 08-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by hawkGT647
How did this thread go from congratulations to road rage?

Where are the moderators?
Wayne wandered off to make "CleanMPG.com" and no one has stepped up to continue the thread. IMHO, it is time to 'unstick' the thread and let it pass into the archives.

Personally, I've felt the best answer is an automated 'hypermiler' feature along the lines of:

1) first hypermiler posting - a private message congratulations
2) automatic 'signature' update - a distinctive signature

Bob Wilson

Old 08-13-2006, 03:25 PM

I unstuck it. Since it is no longer an active thread there is no need for the sticky.