700 Milers.. OK, How are you doing it?? :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default 700 Milers.. OK, How are you doing it?? :)

We have had our TCH for about 9 months and I know some people are able to 700 miles out of a tank of gas. I have been getting closer to 500 miles. I was curious how this is done?? We have a couple of summer trips coming and I was hoping to use some of this time to join the CLUB!!

Thank you in advance!!

Bill

Old 04-11-2008, 04:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 700 Milers.. OK, How are you doing it?? :)

I'm not a 700 miler, but I wonder if a family trip (and the weight of a few extra people and their luggage) will derail your attempt at this goal.

Last edited by haroldo; 04-11-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HyCAMBill
We have had our TCH for about 9 months and I know some people are able to 700 miles out of a tank of gas. I have been getting closer to 500 miles. I was curious how this is done?? We have a couple of summer trips coming and I was hoping to use some of this time to join the CLUB!!

Thank you in advance!!

Bill
A lot depends on how 'brave' you are about running out of gas. Assuming a 'usable volume' of 16 gallons (I would not want to 'run dry' by going much below a 1 gal reserve and kill the fuel pump, among other things), you'd have to average 45 MPG to get to 700 mile tank. I'd consider that possible if you kept speed below 60 (and most likely 50-55), had the low-rolling-resistance tires at 40 PSI, the terrain was relatively flat, and you didn't run A/C. None of which will endear you to your traveling companions.

Last edited by Frodo; 04-11-2008 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:29 PM
700 Mi Camry Club Member

Weather has a lot to do with mileage. When it rains, I lose some quality mpg points. When the temperatures are in the 80s with lows in the upper 60s to lower 70s, I get the best mileage. When the temperatures are in the 50s or below...I definitely notice a drop in mpg. When I'm in EV mode for a stretch, but then the gas engages, I immediately pick up the speed back to the range of 41-45 (important...no hesitation...when the engine turns on make use of the switchover to bring the vehicle up to speed)...then I let off the gas pedal and when it hits 40 or 39 it usually engages EV mode again. I will try to stay near 40 when traffic allows. Sometimes, when the Hybrid battery is low...the EV mode will not engage. In this instance when you drop below 35 and still no EV engagement, I will then go up to 51-60 and coast into EV/Engine sharing and keep my speed as smooth as possible with cruise control if possible. EV/Engine sharing can be of great benefit on highways and should be used. However...in suburban to intown areas....EV/Sharing mode is often interrupted and I do not try to keep in this mode because I lose mpg. Instead, I work right back into glide into 41-45 and drop to EV mode only and accelerate at the most precise moment the engine comes on to above 40 and then glide back down and try to hold 40. I'm willing to give up the 40 but don't like to drop below 35 because I believe you lose mpg back when you accelerate up to above 40. Every miles per hour is important in improving gas mileage. Of course...I have allowed the tank to go 50 to up to 100 miles past the initial fill gasoline gas light reminder. I always fill to only 14.8 to 15.9 gallons. I usually always still have 2 gallons. I hit 625 miles or higher routinely in warmer weather. I hit 700 miles on one tank a couple of times last year. The most miles on one tank was 719 miles. I could easily hit 750 miles but I prefer to leave at least two gallons in the tank.

One more thing...when the car is cold or hasn't been on the road for awhile, I won't bother trying to get into EV mode for at least 2 or 3 miles. I will also accelerate to 50 to 60 miles per hour and then hold that level smoothly until the engine warms enough to start the glide process. Hope this helps someone.

Oops...I would never imply that you slow anybody up...I find areas where I have no major traffic and always stay in the right lane. I lieve in an area where I can easily too the above. The area of driving is flat...I have stretches where I can stay in the 50 to 60 range...and I take advantage of EV mode through a stretch of the city.

Last edited by bugs; 04-11-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Frodo
A lot depends on how 'brave' you are about running out of gas. Assuming a 'usable volume' of 16 gallons (I would not want to 'run dry' by going much below a 1 gal reserve and kill the fuel pump, among other things),....
I am not an expert, but ask yourself a question...is a silly stunt, with no benefit to you, other than bragging rights, worth the cost of replacing a fuel pump and a tow job to get your car in for repair, or just a long walk to and from the gas station to get fuel when your car runs out?
I'm sorry, but trying for a 700 mile tank ranks up there with seeing how long you can stay awake without sleeping; holding your breath under water; seeing how many slices of pizza you can eat; or more precisely, seeing how long you can go without eating.
I'm not an automotive expert, but hope that anyone reading this will think twice before endeavoring on this silly stunt.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:08 AM

Bugs, I just checked your coastal Louisiana forecast using wunderground.com/ Your good to go for some really good gas mileage weather. You drive similar to me and looking for those 70's degree days. I'm hoping for some low 80's soon with no AC.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:17 AM

Good idea on not letting the gas run out so the fuel pump will still self lube. I use to run water in a old drag race car I had when I was young. I replaced water pumps one after the other. Not much lubricant in water. Later I found it's the 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water that kept the water pump seal in great shape.

I'm near 600 miles on this last tank. The fuel gauge shows 1/4 tank left. I'm looking good on this tank and it's time to get gas. I like the higher gas mileage numbers myself. I can multiply my combined mpg and tell about how long a tank would go in my car if ever needed. The miles left might be accurate down to 1/4 tank.

Last edited by rburt07; 05-07-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:58 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I would have to agree on using some "common sense" when trying to get 700mi before you fill up. It's not worth the aggrevation that comes with guessing whether or not you will run out of gas before you get there. I read an article in Readers Digest on Hypermiling and the things this person did to get 180mpg were to say the least.........extreme!! You have to find the balance between mpg and safety. If your just looking to get the best fuel economy with no other concerns.........don't buy a TCH. You might as well take the bus!!

Old 04-12-2008, 05:25 AM

I feel like these forums should display the disclaimers on automobile commercials
"...professional driver on a closed course. don't try this at home..."

Old 04-12-2008, 06:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

OK, I see we have some issues with potential damage to the car. SO how about 650 miles?
Thank for bring this to my attention!

Quick Reply: 700 Milers.. OK, How are you doing it?? :)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands