Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Congratulations Hyper-Milers!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 07:14 AM
Megageek
Default Re: Congratulations Hyper-Milers!

Like I said, I'll have my 5th consecutive tank today but my lifetime MPG is still below the EPA average of 31 so I don't get it untill my average comes above 31. That's a real bummer because it will take many months to overcome those first few weeks of comparatively low MPG driving.

Old 09-13-2005, 04:49 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

You can do it, and it'll be quicker than you think.

In my CVT HCH, EPA is 47.5 combined MPG. I've had it since April and have registered every tank of the car's life on GH the day I filled each one, and have overcome significantly lower tanks to bring my LMPG by 7MPG all the way to 47.4. I'm 250 miles into my current tank and since it's in the mid 50's, I'm ecstatic knowing I could pull over and fill it up to get my star, but tempting as that is, it would destroy my miles per tank average.

Old 09-13-2005, 05:54 PM
Megageek

I'm not so sure. It will take me 28 more tanks at 32 MPG (what I've averaged over the last 5 tanks) to bring my lifetime up to the 31 mark. That will take 14 weeks and put me in the dead of winter in New England. I know I won't be getting 32MPG in January, so more than likely, I'll never get there. The rolling hills here prevent me from getting much better than I'm getting now and the losses that I experience during the colder weather will be nearly impossible to recover from. I'm sure I'll keep trying, but it sucks that I don't have much hope of ever making it.

BTW, how do I make the database milage display a clickable link?

Old 09-13-2005, 06:03 PM
Megageek

Originally Posted by gonavy
For the star, it's weighted according to what you input as your % city/hwy driving. For B&B you need 30; S&G needs 31.

"...a car must have higher fuel economy than EPA estimates over more than 3,000 miles. The EPA city/highway figures are weighted for each car. If no percentages are specified, 55/45% is default."
OK, I missed this post earlier and now I understand how it works. Since I have 75% highway, I can get to 30 mpg average in only 8 more tanks. That I can do! Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Old 09-13-2005, 06:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:06 AM
Megageek

Thanks Wayne. I never planned to give up, I was just bummed that I initially got my hopes up that I was getting close and then looked like I might not make it. Now that I understand how it is weighted toward my real driving conditions, it looks like I will be able to make fairly soon and I'm happy about that

Old 09-20-2005, 08:14 AM

Whats the star.. >>>> thick

Old 09-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Congratulations Hypermilers!

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:34 AM

Grrr...I filled early today in prep for Rita and the gas hikes she'll bring. It's the 3rd day in a row we've had her outskirts and after starting the tank for the first 3 days in the thick of Ophelia just offshore, I had managed to take my MPG all the way up from 48 to 55, but the last few days dropped me all the way down to 49.8 to finish. It slightly raised my lifetime up to 47.6 MPG but since I'm a dope and am compelled honesty about only a 40% highway usage, 47.6 doesn't cut it for a CVT. Maybe next tank the weather'll be more cooperative and I'll break the ranks of the Hypermilers. Sigh.

Old 09-24-2005, 04:24 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Congratulations Hypermilers!

Wayne

SNO779 here. Thank you for the welcome. As you can see I'm new to this group but not to the Insight (Silver Slipper). We have had the car since 6/2001 and have put almost 80000 miles on it now. There are some very impressive MPG numbers on the list that you credit or blame on the gas pump. The truth is I try to fill the tank all the way up, not just to the first click. For some reason unknown to me the tank will not allways accept fuel into the expansion chamber. Some times you can get around 13 gallons in it and other times it goes only to the first click and around 10 gallons. If you follow a full tank with a short tank the numbers look very good, if you follow a short tank with a full tank the numbers look bad. If you use numbers from many miles you get a more accurate average. My best one tank average according to the FCD was 96.3, my worst was 58.9. The cars FCD LMPG that has never been reset shows 76.3. The trip "B" that has not been reset for 74907 miles shows 79.6 ( I consider this to be my LMPG). The trip "A" that has not been reset for 29930 miles shows 83.4.My last four tanks have been 90.9,95.4, 93.2, and 88.5. I have 3 bars left on the current tank and it shows 91.4 so I think I have had a pretty good summer. I'm still trying for the elusive 100 MPG over a complete tank in my real world day to day commute. There is a new freeway being built that is getting closer and closer to my house so my chances are getting better. I had been doing about 40 stops per day and the completed freeway will lower that to about 15.....Louis

Quick Reply: Congratulations Hyper-Milers!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands