Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Boston To Arlington on 81/2 gallons!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 07:40 AM
Enthusiast
Default Boston To Arlington on 81/2 gallons!

I just drove from Boston Ma to Pentagon City in Arlington Va on about 8 1/2 gallons of gas. I am a new driver, just got my license in Dec 05, so i amn't the most auto savy kid around but i believe the reason i averaged about 54 mpg was because i went the speed limit (pretty much stuck to the speed limit i never went over 70mph), letting cruise control do the thinking when ever possible and i was very miserly with the A.C enjoying a breeze through the window rather than blasting the A.C. SO is this good fuel economy? is there something i could be doing better? Thanks for your feedback

Old 07-27-2005, 01:50 PM
Default Re: Boston To Arlington on 81/2 gallons!

Use the A/C when going over 40ish. Openening the window lowers your mileage more than the A/C at that point.

Old 07-27-2005, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Or better yet keep the windows up, the AC off and the vent fan on high.

Old 07-28-2005, 09:58 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

8.5 gal. from Boston to Arlington, Virginia is one thing. Let's see how you do going from Boston to Arlington, Texas!

Old 07-28-2005, 10:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tanstaafl14
8.5 gal. from Boston to Arlington, Virginia is one thing. Let's see how you do going from Boston to Arlington, Texas!
You beat me to this! Just promise that after you make your historic 2000-mile trek from Boston to Arlington, Texas you don't follow Ranger's Kenny Rogers' example and punch the camerman.

Old 07-28-2005, 10:17 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Naw, being a native Texan (lived in Arlington for ~7.5 years) I only punch out ****yankees.

Old 07-28-2005, 10:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tanstaafl14
Naw, being a native Texan (lived in Arlington for ~7.5 years) I only punch out ****yankees.
Give Buck Showalter (Rangers' manager) a break - he left the Yankees and is doing a great job here! If only the owner and GM would make a serious effort to get some more players...

I'm waiting for a hybrid Red Sox newbie to adopt the moniker "The Green Monster"

Old 07-29-2005, 05:14 AM
hyperactive enthusiast

First- I've driven from Boston & the Cape to NYC & back several times with my HCH since I bought it 5 months ago. I usually drive the pike & 84 (which is sometimes steep rolling hills for you guys in other places) I've also driven to Philly from NY- Jersey is mostly flat.
I get between 51 & 53 doing 60-65 to Boston/Cape and I got 56mpg driving to philly. I "drive with the load" and don't use cruise- especially in hilly ct- I'll gain momentum and then slow down going up hill. I don't us AC- tried it last trip (july 4th weekend) and the car was just working too hard on the uphills. I usually crack diagonal windows 3-4". So sounds like pretty good mileage for a new hybrid & a new driver to boot! Next time you go by- stop and we can trade hybrid stories; I'm near the TZ bridge.

And on AC/windows closed subject- someone needs to do an AC/ windows test at 50-60mph. I saw the "mythbusters" guys on Discovery do an AC gas mileage test. they basically took 2 identical excursions and ran them around a race track at 45mpg (they wanted to do a "safe" speed). one with AC and one with windows all open full. I think they used a measured amount of gas and ran them till they stopped. the AC car ran out a ways before the windows car.
I know I get 52-56 with my windows partly open, and I've watched it go down into the high 40's with the AC on. yes, the car is more aerodynamic and efficient with the windows closed- but I think the compressor is a huge drain on that little motor, and in hilly areas, I don't see it being more fuel efficient.
-just my limited observations. I'm not big on AC anyway- and only use it a couple times a year when it's really hot. Don't have it in my house- though I wish I did last week! (95 here + 90% humidity) I understand that all-y'all down south need it, and windows just won't do it!
stay cool

Old 08-05-2005, 01:59 AM
Enthusiast

oh i'm with you on hills coasting is good. it is also good for the ole self-esteem. i take it a little too personally that my car can drive better than i can especially. I can see up ahead and anticipate but hey whatever gets that mileage up and keeps the emissions down. Arlington Texas one day one day.

Old 08-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

In my Insight, I can do 80mpg trips at 50-55mph with both windows down but not with the AC on. The difference should be less with cvts and at higher speeds. It's a lot harder to stay in lean burn with the ac on, but with a cvt that wouldn't matter. Higher speeds will negate the lean burn mode and exact a larger penalty for opened window(s). Narrowly cracking one window or leaving them up without the A/C is optimal, but not the most comfortable! Sometimes I'm tempted to just use full blast A/C and settle for mileage in the 60s in this Insight, but the car is so much more fun to drive without it.

Our IMA cars suffer a larger mpg penalty from using electrical accessories and the A/C than the Prius does.

EDIT: Will rolling down windows save fuel or not? @ Bankrate.com

An unlucky third test driver was assigned to what turned out to be the most-fuel efficient way to travel: Driving with the windows up and the air conditioner switched off.

Last edited by Romir; 08-05-2005 at 02:53 PM.