Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 07:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

Yes...and no. It did get rid of that painfully irritating squeaking. However, and I don't know if it is related to the fix or the installation procedure or what, but shortly thereafter I developed a groaning noise from the passenger side rear wheel. It is a metallic groan/creak that occurs going over bumps slowly or when getting in and out of the vehicle. Sounds more like a bad shock absorber than anything else. Also the fact that temperature and rain impact the noise makes me think it is a shock. Maybe they bent it or installed it in some way that it isn't working right. I'm waiting for my 10,000mi service to get it checked out though b/c last time I was at the dealer it was raining and there was no groaning.

Thankfully, though the "fix" did seem to eliminate that really irritating squeak.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

I also get the groaning. I think the squeak fix just reduced it to a groan.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:00 AM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

My squeak has also turned to a groan. I have also noticed that my driver-side rear-end is noticably lower. Into the shop tomorrow. If they find anything significant related to the groan, I will post.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Enthusiast

I don't get a squeak but I get a high pitched whistle from the back. It happens whenever the car is moving. Happens in EV mode and hybrid mode. It appears related to the speed of the wheels. It sounds like someone whistling (very quietly) from the right rear cargo area. Drives me nuts. The dealer said they could not hear it. I plan on driving a friends FEH and see if his does it too. Or I might test drive another FEH and see if I hear it. It may be normal, but I don't recall hearing it when it was new. Anyone know what it could be?

Old 02-16-2007, 11:27 AM

Some people have reported having issues with the e-brake sticking. Could be air whistling past the battery vent. Could be your hearing is so fine that you can hear things others don't...

Old 02-17-2007, 01:11 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs down Re: Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

Hi,

this is absolutely unreal...I posted a couple of weeks ago that our 2006 FEH, purchased new on December 31, 2006 had developed the squeak. We went to our Ford dealership here in Victoria BC. Luckily the vehicle was squeaking when we went to the service center this time. The mechanic pretty much rejected the TSB (posted many times on this thread) I showed him, saying that the squeak was occuring when the wheels rotated (this was true) while the TSB refered to squeaks due to going over bumps (this was also true).

After 3 1/2 hours of waiting they said they thought they had fixed the problem. They said the calipers had not been oiled enough (?) - sorry but I'm no mechanic. Anyway, a week later the squeak is back - not all the time, just sometimes - enough to p__ss me off.

We are very busy and need our car for work, so it has been two weeks and we still havn't gotten back to get the vehicle serviced...BUT now we also have the creak in the back end that people are complaining about! Happens if you go over bumps or get out of the vehicle (or just push the back bumper up and down).

This is a vehicle we purchased new a month a half ago, with only 100km on it and we paid almost $36,000. We shouldn't tolarate our vehicles sounding like they are 10 years old. So many people seem to have this bloody problem maybe we should organize a mass email to Ford to get their butts in gear on this.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mark_bc
This is a vehicle we purchased new a month a half ago, with only 100km on it and we paid almost $36,000. We shouldn't tolarate our vehicles sounding like they are 10 years old. So many people seem to have this bloody problem maybe we should organize a mass email to Ford to get their butts in gear on this.
It sounds like your mechanic didn't do the work that is on the TSB, so it still squeaks. In your case it seems Ford already did the work... they produced the TSB and a part to fix the problem and your local dealership ignored it.

Old 02-17-2007, 04:53 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs down Re: Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

Teestar,

getting the mechanic to do the work on the TSB was a problem because the TSB describes squeaking caused by the vehicle going over bumps. Our squeak was clearly caused by rotation (we could hear it squeak with each rotation as we drove with the mechanic in the parking lot).

...and as to whether "Ford already did the work" ? Well, not so fast. Tim K and others are also now reporting the same creak we have in the back end of our FEH...and this is after they had the TSB work done.

We have owned a new Toyota and a new Honda and had no problems with either. Just regular age-related maintanance. My Mom has had no problem with her Toyota...my Dad has had his Buick in and out of the shop since he bought it new. Just think its fair comment to suggest that if N.A. automakers want to survive they should try making a quality product.

Old 02-17-2007, 07:19 PM
Enthusiast
Wink Re: Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

Ok, at some point you just have to laugh. I came across a 2 year old review of the 2006 FEH on CNET.com...check out the following

"One downside to the silence of low-speed driving is the magnification of various squeaks and creaks from the rear of the vehicle. Some of these are merely the operation of the complex drive systems, but others sound more like the groans of an independent rear suspension carrying a few hundred more pounds than it was originally designed for. Our particular car also had a rear-brake squeak, furthering the overall impression of low build quality"

You just can't buy that kind of advertising.

Last edited by Mark_bc; 02-17-2007 at 07:20 PM. Reason: can't spell can't
Old 02-17-2007, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mark_bc

We have owned a new Toyota and a new Honda and had no problems with either. Just regular age-related maintanance. My Mom has had no problem with her Toyota...my Dad has had his Buick in and out of the shop since he bought it new. Just think its fair comment to suggest that if N.A. automakers want to survive they should try making a quality product.
Recently Toyota has recalled a bunch of Prius' for problems. Honda has as well.... so the domestics are not alone in screwing up... they just seem to be alone in being noticed for it.

The truth is... these days if you look at the ratings for quality, you will find that the domestics have made great strides and the record shows there isn't much of a difference anymore....unfortunately for them... many years of building crap can't be overcome by a few years of building a decent vehicle... it takes time to rebuild a reputation.

Quick Reply: Squeaking 06 FWD FEH rear end

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands