Newbie FEH AWD Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 03:59 PM
Enthusiast
Cool Newbie FEH AWD Owner

Please excuse me if this sounds strange. But AS a computer tech and all around gadget guy I am curious about the software in the FEH. If Ford engineers develop a new ¨Īmproved Program¨ can the FEH computers be flashed (Upgraded) with the new program? much as you can do with the bios on your desktop. It would be great if that can be done as I am sure there is a lot of tweaks they can make to improve Fuel Efficiency and control. I must say this is the coolest drive I have ever had and believe me I have had lots. Really enjoying this as its brought some FUN back to driving.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:05 PM
Technology Enthusiast
Default Re: Newbie FEH AWD Owner

As I understand it from the development team that it can be flashed. But probably would only be for serious bugs as a maintenance release and not a whole new upgrade.

Old 02-16-2006, 10:42 AM
Jim
Active Enthusiast

Exactly. Ford can't do software upgrades the way Microsoft does. They have to certify emissions and such with extensive testing before making changes.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bostondick
If Ford engineers develop a new ¨Īmproved Program¨ can the FEH computers be flashed (Upgraded) with the new program?
Ford Engineers have in fact developed an improved program - they put it on the '06 models. My dealer told me that the programming is identical but they are wrong. The '06 and the '05 behave quite differently when it comes to EV mode operation. They are also different in how they behave during deceleration in "L" - the 4000 RPM I get in the '05 is more like 2500-3000 RPM in the '06. I read somewhere (an email from Ford) where the engineer said they toned it down some.

So, there are differences in the programming from the '05 to the '06 and from what I have seen (I have about 10k driving each one) the '06 is a big improvement. My mileage is better in the '06 too. If I ever find out they can reflash the '05 to the '06 program, I'll be first in line.

You from Boston, bostondick?