Key/Ignition Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 04:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Key/Ignition Problem

Has anyone had any problems with their key not working in the ignition?

I am away and my wife called me to tell me that the key wouldn't turn in the ignition of the '06. I figured she had the wheels turned but they were straight. She tried turning the wheels and nothing worked. The key wouldn't turn to either accessory or run. I finally suggested trying a spare key and it worked fine. After that the original key worked fine as well.

Fortunately I had left the '05 at home and she had been using that since this happened yesterday. I would have been a little (more) irritated had this happened at the mall and her 8 months pregnant with my 3 year with her.

She said the key looks fine and the spare worked first try. Is there any kind of ignition lock that would keep it from turning or was this just a fluke? I hate to think this could happen again some cold night somewhere...

Thanks.

Old 12-21-2005, 05:22 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Key/Ignition Problem

I think the steering wheel just locked on her, it's done it to me. You just have to give it a little turn to the left or right to unlock it then turn the key. Hope it's that simple for you.

Old 12-21-2005, 11:19 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

In the second week I had the '06, I had a situation where the key just would not turn, no matter what I did. I ended up taking the key out, putting it back in, and pushing it further in (There was a deeper "setting" that you push the key into), there was a click, and I was able to turn it. I don't know if with my other hand I unlocked the wheel or what, but I found that pushing the deeply into the ignition worked for me.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The first thing I figured was that it was just the wheel locking but she swore that she turned the wheel in both directions as far as it would go and nothing. She took the key out, turned it over, pushed it, pulled it and nothing. The car was in the garage and the wheels were straight so I kinda believe her.

It wasn't until she used the other key that it worked and she said it was no effort with that key.

I am 1500 miles away so who knows for sure. It is working for now anyway....

Thanks

Ray