HV Battery Jump

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 06:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: HV Battery Jump

Originally Posted by S Keith
Okay. I could probably pull that off too assuming I invented some new profanity.

Yeah. Online only. I must have bought the last APC-35-350 from Mouser last week.

I think it will work. Please read the data sheet first. It's adjustable, so make sure you have the means to hard wire it to max current output. Based on my interpretation, an open circuit on the dimmer leads will ensure max output.

Peak voltage isn't an issue. This is a misconception by many. You could put a 0.35 amp, 10,000V capable power supply on it, and it wouldn't do anything (sorta). V = I * R. Voltage changes based on current and resistance. There would be a mega spark when you attached to the 10kV supply, but one of two things would happen next...

1) the power supply would start flowing the 0.35A and immediately pull it's own voltage down to meet the battery.
2) Power supply would shut down.

A battery's voltage will rise in response to a charge based on the current flow and it's own internal resistance (whole pack is between 1 and 2Ω). Once a current is applied, it will rise over time according to its state of charge. It will never go higher than it's 100% SoC voltage with a given current applied, regardless of the PSU's peak voltage.

Hi Steve, Does this mean I can use this same power supply (HLG-120H-C350A. The product sheet located here:https://www.meanwellusa.com/productPdf.aspx?i=310#1) to grid charge a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid I also have? I've been running it for months with the IMA light, check engine light and P0A7F code activated, but it still averages 36-40mpg. I've read many of your other posts where you clearly favor grid charging over stick charging and I've been thinking of trying it. I'd like to trickle charge my honda with the same led driver I used for my Ford escape and discharge using the light bulb method. I saw where you recommended the discharge/charge cycles located here at hybrid automotive https://hybridautomotive.com/pages/sd#termination.

Last edited by Tribu Tibas; 12-10-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

So sorry. I had two '06. Love the car HATED THE BATTERIES.

No. Peak voltage on a HCH2 pack is typically 195-200V, which is below the minimum voltage of the PSU, and it will not function.

A single LPC-100-350 or 2X APC-35-350 (preferred) would work. You would need to completely remove the pack and force air through the normal passages to ensure it doesn't overheat.

In order to get any benefit, you WILL have to charge for 25+ hours and get the battery 100% charged, discharge it with bulbs and then repeat the 25 hour charged. It is absolutely critical to force air THROUGH the pack.

No guarantee you'll get any benefit, but it's cheap to try.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:21 AM
Enthusiast

So sorry. I had two '06. Love the car HATED THE BATTERIES.

No. Peak voltage on a HCH2 pack is typically 195-200V, which is below the minimum voltage of the PSU, and it will not function.

A single LPC-100-350 or 2X APC-35-350 (preferred) would work. You would need to completely remove the pack and force air through the normal passages to ensure it doesn't overheat.

In order to get any benefit, you WILL have to charge for 25+ hours and get the battery 100% charged, discharge it with bulbs and then repeat the 25 hour charged. It is absolutely critical to force air THROUGH the pack.

No guarantee you'll get any benefit, but it's cheap to try.
Yup, I love the car. Even with the battery failing it's still getting 37-40mpg, the ultimate grocery-getter. That's why I wasn't really worried about repairing the battery until my Escape failed and I found this forum. I just bought 2X APC-35-350 on Amazon prime, pretty cheap at $14 a piece. I've read dozens of your posts over the last week (I swear I'm not a stalker!) and I'm confident I understand 90% the process. I just have a couple of questions.

1. Is there a thread on specifically grid charging with a led driver? I haven't found one, like I stated my understanding of the process comes from combing through a few hundred posts on over a dozen threads.
2. Once I remove my battery for grid charging can I still drive my vehicle? I understand you can flip the breaker to disconnect the battery and the vehicle will still run however no one has made it clear if the vehicle will operate once the battery is removed?
3. Do you have a thread or diagram on how to wire 2x.APC-35-350 to the battery pack?

Old 12-11-2019, 09:12 AM

Did you ever get the FEH resolved?
  1. Same concept as charging the FEH battery, but you do it long enough (25 hours) to ensure you get to 100% SoC on all 132 cells and provide active cooling THROUGH the pack.
  2. No. Expect to take the car offline for 96 hours.
  3. No. Inputs in parallel and outputs in series:
Battery (-)(-)-------APC-35-350------(+)(-)-----APC-35-350----(diode(|))----(+)(+) Battery

Connect to battery in steps 15 and 17:

https://hybridautomotive.com/pages/install-hc2-1pnp

Again, do not attempt charging without removing the battery from the car and FORCING air through the pack.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:18 AM
Enthusiast

Did you ever get the FEH resolved?
  1. Same concept as charging the FEH battery, but you do it long enough (25 hours) to ensure you get to 100% SoC on all 132 cells and provide active cooling THROUGH the pack.
  2. No. Expect to take the car offline for 96 hours.
  3. No. Inputs in parallel and outputs in series:
Battery (-)(-)-------APC-35-350------(+)(-)-----APC-35-350----(diode(|))----(+)(+) Battery

Connect to battery in steps 15 and 17:

https://hybridautomotive.com/pages/install-hc2-1pnp

Again, do not attempt charging without removing the battery from the car and FORCING air through the pack.
I appreciate all the help sir. That sounds pretty easy.

I haven't taken care of my FEH yet. I'm riding out a bit of bad luck right now. Right when I was about to begin testing the two flipped inertia switches, my brakes went on the Civic hybrid. The master cylinder is bad but on these Hybrids, it's master cylinder/digital brake booster combo servo set which costs $3000 new. (You probably knew that) I had to scramble to source the part in a junkyard. To make things worse I'm up in the Northeast where we've been getting rain and snow for the last three days. Long story short, yesterday morning I bundled up and pulled the part in the snow. Hopefully today, I can install it and get back to the escape.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:40 AM

Good luck!

Old 01-16-2020, 02:49 PM
Enthusiast

Just wanted to say thanks so much. I let the 2009 mercury mariner hybrid sit for 70days. No start or turn over. Charged the hybrid battery as per instructions. Started right up. Battery was at 270 volts when i started charging. Only charged for 2.5 hours with a HLG-120H-C350A with 2 diodes in line as described. Disconnected and let sit for 15 minutes. Hybrid battery showing 340v. Started. I did not pull the battery at all. You can get the top side bolts off with channel locks and the left lower side screw off with a T30 bit and vice grips. I left the lower right T30 screw in place and just flexed/bent the cover up for access.
So grateful
jim

Last edited by Jim Mitchell; 01-16-2020 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:00 PM

If you don't get a good seal all the way around that cover, you've effectively disabled the cooling system. If you just bent the tab, it's probably fine, but it would be a good idea to confirm there is no deformation at the sealing surfaces.

Old 01-16-2020, 03:17 PM
Enthusiast

If you don't get a good seal all the way around that cover, you've effectively disabled the cooling system. If you just bent the tab, it's probably fine, but it would be a good idea to confirm there is no deformation at the sealing surfaces.
thanks. It looks good. Like it flexed and didn’t bend although that is hard to believe. Next time I’ll take both sides off with a T30bit and vice grips
​​​​​​ thanks so much you saved me hours and days of taking it to shops who don’t have a clue plus saving the money
jim

Old 01-19-2020, 07:04 PM
Enthusiast

Would anyone mind taking a photo of their assembled charger. I plan on attempting this project as well. I have 2 APC-35-350 in hand and I want to make sure construct the charger the right way.

Quick Reply: HV Battery Jump

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands