HV Battery Jump

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 04:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HV Battery Jump

Originally Posted by S Keith
Buttons are on the kick panel to the left of your ankle, or at the left end of the dash.

If you truly have an '09, then the battery has likely been replaced with an 05-08.

Lastly, please do everybody a favor and delete the massive amount of text you quoted from the original post. At 300+ posts in it's poor forum etiquette to quote a massive post to add a few lines for your reply.
That was the situation with my '09. The seller had replaced the HVTB with one from an '08.

Old 10-08-2023, 12:52 PM
Enthusiast

Hey Guys... yet another new user here … attracted by this thread and the great info on here.

I have my friends 09 Escape hybrid with continuous battery drain issues (he DEFINITLY doesn't drive it enough) so I built him a charger to leave in the car.

Just to preface, I am an experienced mechanic, and have worked on hybrids / EVs, but this is my first "modification" to a hybrid system. Reading this thread made me extremely confident of the job, but I paused this morning when getting ready to start charging it. I think mainly because of the other (personal and client) vehicles surrounding the Escape, and potential damage if there was a mishap. So I was hoping to just check my work, and quench some concerns.

I followed the wiring schematic previously posted, using an HLG-120H-350A, and 2 D1NK60-5070 diodes (I saw that part number on this thread somewhere, and had some). I drilled out the unused connector on the drivers side of the HV battery case and ran the AC though it, and mounted the HLG-120H where the 05-08 jump pack was. I ran the output wires into a plastic enclosure (also mounted) to protect the diodes and then spliced them into the vestigial wires so I could keep the connectors to test voltage at.

One concern is that those vestigial wires are covered in plastic conduit.. .and my wires through and from the diode enclosure to the splice points are not. Is there any concern that these diodes and wires are close in proximity? Obviously the diodes are covered with heat shrink.

The HV battery as it sits measures 281V with the safety plug in. With the safety plug out and the charger plugged in I see 435V at the vestigial connectors.

I'm sure I just got in my head seeing the exposed HV battery and extension cord etc within spitting distance of my clients $250K Ferrari and several other "irreplaceable" vehicles... so just looking to ease my mind, lol.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread and thanks in advance for any input.

-Eric

Old 10-08-2023, 12:56 PM

If you have no exposed metal, there is no concern about proximity. Most insulation is rated for 600V.

With the safety plug out, you're seeing the charger's maximum voltage @ 0A.

Old 10-08-2023, 01:26 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
If you have no exposed metal, there is no concern about proximity. Most insulation is rated for 600V.

With the safety plug out, you're seeing the charger's maximum voltage @ 0A.
That’s was my assumption… just giving as much info as possible in case anything sounded off.

still thinking I’m gonna push it onto the street to charge… it’s an unlucky day … Barcelona is loosing to a relegation zone team… don’t need the house burning down also. Haha

Old 10-08-2023, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by LeavingOfAge
That’s was my assumption… just giving as much info as possible in case anything sounded off.

still thinking I’m gonna push it onto the street to charge… it’s an unlucky day … Barcelona is loosing to a relegation zone team… don’t need the house burning down also. Haha
There is dramatically more risk of fire or explosion from charging a 12V battery in your garage.

Old 10-08-2023, 05:13 PM
Enthusiast

Well I do that everyday!! Haha.

Old 10-08-2023, 05:26 PM

Exactly.

Old 10-10-2023, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast

Also, new to the thread. I have read everything and have my charger and diodes on order. I plan on connecting to the vestigial leads. I understand the service plug needs to be disconnected while removing the cover and installing the leads, then reinstalled to charge. However, I plan on keeping the HYBRID battery in the car while charging. I saw a youtube video that showed the guy disconnecting the main wiring harness to the hybrid battery while charging the unit using the vestigial method. Is it required that this harness be disconnected? Please advise.

Old 10-10-2023, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dudinator101
Also, new to the thread. I have read everything and have my charger and diodes on order. I plan on connecting to the vestigial leads. I understand the service plug needs to be disconnected while removing the cover and installing the leads, then reinstalled to charge. However, I plan on keeping the HYBRID battery in the car while charging. I saw a youtube video that showed the guy disconnecting the main wiring harness to the hybrid battery while charging the unit using the vestigial method. Is it required that this harness be disconnected? Please advise.
No.

Old 10-10-2023, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dudinator101
S. Keith has been doing this a lot longer than the YT people. I used to try to correct some of the more incorrect info on YT and the makers actually removed my comments rather than correct their video. If you see something on YT that conflicts with S.Keith, I'd follow S.Keith's advice/instructions.

Quick Reply: HV Battery Jump

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands