Grille covers ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 02:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Grille covers ??

I looked into these for the MMH. I don't see one available that would look nice. The MMH grille is different than the FEH. Anybody find a decent cover for the MMH? Pic would be great!!!

Thanks

Old 12-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Cathy, the Ford Escape FIA Winter Cover seen at this link:
http://www.tonnocover.com/productlin...ug_screen.html

will fit your Mercury. There is no difference between the Ford and Mercury in the size of the grille opening.

Old 12-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
I used to get up to about 65-69'F water temp using the EBH outdoors at 10'F. Last couple of times, I hit 83-85'F using the EBH ourdoors.

I get to about 100'F using the EBH in the garage.

-John
John - EV mode requires 140F min. Using SGII-Xg, assuming SoC is OK (~50%), will fWT and CHT be the only other criteria to enable EV?

In my 45F attached garage, pulling out into 32F ambient, ICE naturally running, I see CHT increasing rapidly, and fWT increasing slowly. Seems that CHT is abt 1200F when fWT reaches 140F.

Q - Was EV mode waiting on fWT to reach 140F, or is CHT of 1200 required? In order to increase FE, I don't know exactly where to target my EV early priorities? A EBH would increase water temp and decrease time to get to fWT 140, but if I'm still waiting on CHT threshold I haven't gained.

Opinions and info from you guys who've been driving hybrids for a few years is invaluable for us guys still in the "improving" stage.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:03 AM

Ken, the CHT value rises very quickly and is normal operating temperature much sooner than the vehicle is allowed to go into electric mode.

I have found my vehicle needs fWT at or above 153 degrees for the first time after startup (after sitting for several hours--not necessary true when one make mulitple short stops as found when one does shopping at different locations) to go into electric mode. This is one reason some of us are using engine block heaters--to enable quicker transition into electric mode. I can keep my vehicle in electric mode until fWT drops to 123 degrees. The vehicle will then require a fWT temperature of 140 degrees or higher for electric mode to return provided SOC is >42%.

There is a sticky thread on the scangauge values you may want to review.

Last edited by Billyk; 12-16-2007 at 09:06 AM. Reason: more information needed to be added
Old 12-16-2007, 09:52 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Ok, this is starting to get all confused up. Lets use words for the TLA's. ( three letter acronyms )

CHT = Cylinder Head Temperature. Mine runs in the 235'F to 240'F range.
CAT = Catalyist temperature. Mine runs in the 1300'F to 1500'F range.

So far, I've had EV at Catalyist temperatures of 750'F or warmer.
( which is basically always )
I do not have any clear correlation to CAT temp and EV operation.
Before the new ScanGauge, we all thought there would be, but maybe we were all wrong. The CAT temp is not measured anyway, it is just an inferred value... a "best guess" based on other factors.

Now, there is FOR SURE a correlation to Water Temp, CHT, and EV.

In 2005-2007, the REQUIRED water temp to enter EV is 140'F.
I AM POSITIVE OF THIS! This is set in STONE. ( or iron. )

In 2008's, I hear from owners this requirement is higher, but I've not seen it for myself.

Once in EV, you can continue to use EV down to Water Temp. 125'F.
In almost 3 years, my car has never violated this rule.

But this is not the only requirement.

ALSO... the CHT needs to meet minimums at the same time.
And here is where I find the rules change, based on weather.

In BELOW FREEZING weather, you need 140'F water and CHT 224'F at the same time to enter EV.

In BELOW FREEZING weather, you can stay EV down to water temp. 125'F and CHT 202'F. Whichever crosses the threshold first will trip the engine back on.

In above freezing weather, my 2005 changes the rule for CHT but not water temp. In above freezing I have had EV with CHT down to 177'F.
But my car never ever breaks the water temp. "rule".

Hope that helps.
-John

Old 12-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

In above freezing weather, my 2005 changes the rule for CHT but not water temp. In above freezing I have had EV with CHT down to 177'F.
But my car never ever breaks the water temp. "rule".

Hope that helps.
-John
John/Bill - Thanks. I didn't realize Cyl Head Temp was a factor. On 1st startup when engine is cold iron, I have also seen ~153F on fWT to go EV, like Billy stated. But since I wasn't monitoring CHT, that might have been the limiting factor per John's input. Grill convers do seem appropriate to help maintain temp under the hood.

I see why some of you guys chain a 2nd SG... Sometimes 4 SG monitors isn't enough!

P.S. My TaV & TmX always ready exactly the same on 08 FEH AWD.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:16 PM

GPSman1 (John) is correct in that I had incorrectly referred CHT with CAT. You don't have to monitor CAT as it rapidly heats up. With John's post I now can monitor CHT to better monitor my vehicle's ability to get into EV.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:42 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Bill, Ken, and others.... I have the water temp "rules" figured out... but I'm still working on the CHT rules...

Everyone's help is greatly appreciated... as I find it strange, but true, that there are different "rules" based on outdoor temperature. Since myself, Bill, and others are going to great lengths to "hide" the cold weather, I'd sure like to know what the FEH is using for its constraints.

Those using a ScanGauge, please post some of your findings in the "ScanGauge Data Depository" thread and update it as often as needed. We've gotten off the topic of grille covers, but it's hard to complain about finding good info! I've added to that other page (via EDIT) 3 or 4 times already. Thanks!
-John

Old 12-17-2007, 03:29 PM

Bill, Ken, and others.... I have the water temp "rules" figured out... but I'm still working on the CHT rules...

Everyone's help is greatly appreciated...

Those using a ScanGauge, please post some of your findings in the "ScanGauge Data Depository" thread and update it as often as needed.
-John
Thanks for your input on the importance of CHT with the onset of electric mode. Give me a few more days of driving monitoring this and I will drop some information in the scangauge data depository thread.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
Thanks for your input on the importance of CHT with the onset of electric mode. Give me a few more days of driving monitoring this and I will drop some information in the scangauge data depository thread.
Excuse me too for confusing the two Cyl Head Temp and Catalytic Converter acronyms CHT and CAT. I know that CAT is inferred/calculated, and probably is not an EV factor. Also forgive me for getting off subject, but sometimes it all blends together, because the grill cover is utilized to raise and maintain fWT to promote quicker EV and sustain it longer. All beautiful music playing together to form a song

I'll be monitoring SGII-xgauge fWT, CHT, SoC, and Outside Air Temp (OAT) to determine any absolutes in regards to the 08 FEH AWD going into EV, and report on the appropriate thread. But I'll have to wait until my wife lets me drive the car. I regularly drive my 02 Ford Ranger now that it's too cold to drive my 72 VW super beetle Luckily, I have learned MUCH with SGII connected to Ranger daily, and could talk endlessly on those findings, but they don't relate directly to FEH. Learned 90% from postings on this site. GREAT!