Ponderings of a Newb

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Enthusiast
Question Ponderings of a Newb

Two days ago I picked up my 05 FEH 4x4 and since then I've been obsessed with making it more efficient--funny since the whole purpose of purchasing a hybrid in the first place is that its already more efficient than what you already had (in my case a V6 ford explorer sport). So with that, here are my thoughts/questions--Most of them I've already searched but since I'm a newbie to hybrids and this forum, I may have missed some things. Rather than posting several different threads, I thought I'd put them all here:

1) Suspension-Is there a suspension kit out there for the 4x4? I'd like to lower it an inch or two.
-- First, for looks-a lowered car just looks sportier to me. Also, if others think "hey, cool car" before "ew, a hybrid", maybe more people will start driving hybrids.
-- Second, to reduce drag and increase handling. For some reason, I think this will positively affect MPG. Do any of the more experienced have a thought here?

2) Wheels-Also a looks thing. I'm thinking 18's since I can still get that size TPMS monitors (I'm thinking Explorer). While larger wheels may take more to get moving, the firmer sidewall of a low profile tire would counterbalance that-correct?

3) Electric Blanket/block heaters - (I'm almost positive this has been discussed) This winter I was thinking about keeping an electric blanket in the cargo area and plugging in before bed. That way batteries will be warm and operating efficiently from the time I turn the key--thoughts here? Same concept for the engine block heater.

4) Engine performance - High flow filters, exhaust kits - is there anything to make the engine more efficient? I know K&N touts that their filters can help increase MPG efficiency, has anyone done this to their car?

Ok, that's my brain dump, I hope it's not to aggressive of an introduction, but I'm excited about this new car and what I can make it do.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by dcarp; 10-18-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit
Default Re: Ponderings of a Newb

Engine performance - High flow filters, exhaust kits - is there anything to make the engine more efficient?
Well think less air flow. More airflow = more fuel. This engine is what they call a miller cycle engine (google it) but it does not use the supercharger miller intended. This is kind of a different animal. The exhaust doesnt seem that bad and the cat is reall close to the engine for quick warm up. Basically it is as good as it gets (its already 15% better than a standard gas engine) I have tried some of the tricks I have used with great success on regular engines all to no improvement on this beast. Ford did the work on this one.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I see KONI finally has made an insert for the front shocks and a set of rear shocks for the Escape. Then you have Eibach pro-kits and H&R springs. So you're not out of luck on the suspension end! I'd be a little careful to use the same total wheel diameter because of your 4WD transfer case.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the input guys!
Mark, good info on the engine.

D-Mac-I have seen springs for the standard escape, do you know if there's a difference between those and the hybrid?

Old 10-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

[quote=dcarp;147190]

3) Electric Blanket/block heaters - (I'm almost positive this has been discussed) This winter I was thinking about keeping an electric blanket in the cargo area and plugging in before bed. That way batteries will be warm and operating efficiently from the time I turn the key--thoughts here? Same concept for the engine block heater.

Thanks!!![/quote

There is a thread about the engine block heater=poor man's PHEV. Gary G revealed there was a heater inside the Hybrid Battery unit and the engine block heater will/should induce the heater to warm up the hybrid battery during cold weather.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk

There is a thread about the engine block heater=poor man's PHEV. Gary G revealed there was a heater inside the Hybrid Battery unit and the engine block heater will/should induce the heater to warm up the hybrid battery during cold weather.
I knew about the battery heater, but AFAIK, it's not on when the key's not on. My thought was to keep the blanket plugged in overnight (on low of course), just to keep the batteries nice and cozy for startup the next morning. That way you don't have to wait, for the internal battery heater to warm up.

Thanks!

Old 10-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dcarp
I knew about the battery heater, but AFAIK, it's not on when the key's not on.

Thanks!

I believe you are incorrect with this statement. The engine block heater has a charger that connects to the hybrid battery heater and will warm the hybrid batteries with the engine off, the key out of the vehicle and the engine block heater plugged into an electrical current from your home.

A well known poster gpsman1 may chip in on this.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:52 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Here's what I know for sure.
A K&N filter may help, or it may do nothing for MPG. It won't hurt.
It will save you money over time, 'cause 1 filter lasts the life of the car.

A plug-in electric blanket on top of your battery compartment may do some good for the HV battery, or it might do nothing. It for sure won't hurt anything other than your electric bill. Unfortunately, heat flows up, (convection) but if you remove the carpet and put the electric blanket directly on the metal case, heat will eventually warm the battery cells via conduction, and radiation.

The block heater is "dumb". It gets hot anytime it is plugged into 120 VAC.
About 4 hours worth, and you are as hot as you are going to reasonably get. Ford recommends plugging in 3 hours before you desire to drive, so a timer will be handy. The block heater is rated at 400 watts but can draw up to 450 watts.

The "other" component is a 120 VAC to 24v DC transformer. It sends low voltage and low current to the rear battery pack compartment. What it does when it gets there is anyone's guess, but it is only 25 watts to 40 watts. This component is "smart". That is, some electronics are involved. No power at all goes to the rear if the battery is already in the "normal" range of charge and temperature. So far, no one I know of with this component has had a dead battery. So no one knows if this is a trickle charger or not. So far, no one has had a sub-zero battery pack yet. So know one knows for sure if this is a battery heater or not. Both are great guesses at this point. -John

Old 10-19-2007, 05:34 AM
Enthusiast

GPSMan, good info here! thanks.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dcarp
D-Mac-I have seen springs for the standard escape, do you know if there's a difference between those and the hybrid?
I haven't seen any evidence that the hybrid's suspension is any different from other Escapes'. I would doubt that Ford would want to go to that expense anyway.

Quick Reply: Ponderings of a Newb

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands