Grille covers ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 01:31 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Grille covers ??

Being in Minnesota and seeing them around on other vehicles, has anyone run across somebody that makes a cold weather grille cover that would fit an '08 Escape?

I've gotta believe that they would help a hybrid immensely in the winter by keeping more of the heat inside the engine bay so the ICE wouldn't need to stay on as often if it's need to be on was for the sole purpose of trying to keep itself warm.

I suppose I could make one up with some quality materials that wouldn't look too bad if I needed to, but I was just wondering if anybody made a commercial accessory version of one.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Feral Engineer
Default Re: Grille covers ??

You could check out these guys - they are in Alaska.

http://www.alaskatent.com/products/c...ter_fronts.htm

Also see my post on an adjustable radiator block.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Prius guys (or gals) stick foam pipe insulation between their grille slats.

On my Camry Hybrid, the foam pipe wouldn't work. So I bought some foam-core "poster" board and zip-tied it to the inside of my grille. Poke 2 holes through the board where the grille slat it, put a tie through the holes and around the slat. Works very well. And is nearly invisible.

A side advantage I see with grille blocking, is less salt spray inside the engine compartment!

Old 11-02-2007, 04:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

I like your idea from that other post, travelover - thanks. I think I'll try something like that. I was just searching the topics for "grille covers" so I never caught that one.

I wrote the first post without looking at the radiator first, so I got a good look at it tonight when I got home. I didn't realize (but should have considering the size of the engine) that the main radiator is so small on this thing!! And it has a pretty nice little "compartment" in front of it to allow a wide range of things to work for a radiator block.

I never thought of the side effect of keeping other winter "junk" out of the radiator - extra bonus!

I'll probably make it out of something other than cardboard, because I do run my vehicles through the carwash once in a while on the warmer days in winter to knock off the salt buildup.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by chesterakl; 11-02-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:58 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by chesterakl
I like your idea from that other post, travelover - thanks. I think I'll try something like that. I was just searching the topics for "grille covers" so I never caught that one.

I wrote the first post without looking at the radiator first, so I got a good look at it tonight when I got home. I didn't realize (but should have considering the size of the engine) that the main radiator is so small on this thing!! And it has a pretty nice little "compartment" in front of it to allow a wide range of things to work for a radiator block.

I never thought of the side effect of keeping other winter "junk" out of the radiator - extra bonus!

I'll probably make it out of something other than cardboard, because I do run my vehicles through the carwash once in a while on the warmer days in winter to knock off the salt buildup.

Thanks everyone.
Yea, I thought the foam core board was a clever idea or perhaps some heavy plastic sheet material. Let us know what you find.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Air flow may be really important to get any ozone out of engine compartment created by the electric motor.

I guess I don't know the technical design of the motor yet, but most electric motors do create ozone when running.

Ozone can be corresive.

Just always concearns me to limit airflow.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't know about the FEH, but on the Prius and Camry with the grilles "blocked" there still is some airflow through the compartment. Just much less over the radiator to help keep it up to temp.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pb5927317
Air flow may be really important to get any ozone out of engine compartment created by the electric motor.

I guess I don't know the technical design of the motor yet, but most electric motors do create ozone when running.

Ozone can be corresive.

Just always concearns me to limit airflow.
I'm not at all concerned about that. The bottom of the engine compartment is completely open, and with the fans still running within the compartment and the gaps that still occur around perimeter of the radiator and the hood there's still plenty of ways for that to dissipate. I'm just trying to restrict the direct cold airflow through the radiator on the coldest days.

Last edited by chesterakl; 11-04-2007 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:18 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

Ozone also makes plastic and rubber brittle.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Feral Engineer

Yes, the engine compartment is still pretty well ventilated, even with the radiator blocked, as air can still enter around the sides of the radiator and of course over the entire bottom.

Quick Reply: Grille covers ??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands