FEH Cat Converter Plugged

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH Cat Converter Plugged

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Yes, that is precisely my point. It has been happening since 1979, and is not connected to the current "wars" on the land.
at a cost of 8 Trillion shall I add via a Time.com article in April. Now what was the Ethanol direct cost---not including the so called indirect cost that was included in your post?

Old 05-26-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk
at a cost of 8 Trillion shall I add via a Time.com article in April. Now what was the Ethanol direct cost---not including the so called indirect cost that was included in your post?
Sorry, I don't follow Time magazine either, especially on this sort of topic.

Whatever the direct or any other government subsidies for Ethanol, they are useless and not worth it.

National security, on the other hand, is worth it.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Gary,
What about my post - Ford said the car was going to support E85. Are you going from the owner manual?
I read that the 2011 Explorer was also E85 approved only to find out when they hit the dealer lots, on the gas lid it had a label saying the same thing as my new 2012 Focus. No E20-E85 with a circle and line going through it. Ford was wasting a lot of money making fuel systems and engines E85 approved. If the Government requires the emission systems to have a 80,000 mile warranty, it cost Ford a ton of money to replace the emission systems like they just did in my '05 FEH.

Based on how my '05 FEH has performed in the last 30,000 miles, My CAT has been bad since 50,000 miles soon after E10 was mandated. It states in both my '05 and '09 FEH PCM/ED Manuals that "fuel quality (% alcohol or oxygenates)." effects long term fuel trim. We know oxygenates cause a richer fuel mixture because ethanol has less BTU's than straight gas. A higher fuel to air ratio causes reduced MPG and a heavier load on the CAT to clean the exhaust gases.

GaryG

Old 05-26-2011, 08:07 PM

Name:  FEHPCMEDmanualoncatfailureLargee-mailview.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  215.7 KB

Evidence has not been presented that the CAT failure started at 50,000 miles. The last post does not at all "fit" into the trusted FEH workshop manual's documentation.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:12 AM

Billy, I do not have to prove anything to you. You don't even know what is being said in the manual you just copied. Down at the bottom of page 1-10 it says The Primary Failure is Chemical Deterioration. My post referred to Ethanol and the quality of fuel causing a richer fuel to air ratio. On page 1-39 is where you find how alcohol changes the Long Term Fuel Trim. There are only two types of fuel that have been run in my engine, Straight Regular Gas and E-10. I refer to them as good gas and bad gas and one of them screwed up my emission system much earlier than it should have. If you think it was the Straight Gas, I disagree. Ford regulates how much Ethanol that can be added to straight gas for a reason. When I look down at your sig page and see you violated the amount of Ethanol Ford allows in the FEH, that says it all.

GaryG

Old 05-27-2011, 02:52 PM

I'm a non-mechanic and engineer. Your post on this thread continue to be poor in logic. Your statements on vehicle operation remain incorrect and I'm not going to tell the FEH expert what and why when he smears anyone that challenges his thoughts.

In short, scam everyone by blaming E10 for what ever ails the vehicle's operation.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:04 PM

On this issue of E-5, E-10, & etc...

I have consistently run my engines on the least expensive gasoline I can find. Across 436,000 miles on my Suburban and over 100,000 miles on several vehicles, and 96,000 on my 06 FEH I have had only one catalytic converter give up the ghost.

This occurred on my Suburban at 233,000miles. When the GMC dealer looked at it afterward his take was that an earlier repair to the ignition system done by a GM Dealer had caused a lean run condition that reflected into damaging the catalytic converter.

This happened when one of my sons was keeping the Suburban at college and I was "allowing" someone besides myself to do work on it.

I find no difference in mileage on my Suburban when alcohol is blended in, although I know it has some lesser energy in it. I quit paying attention to whether the gas is E-5, E-10, or E15. I think something else is the cause here.

Suffice it to say I just don't buy the "blame it on E-10" approach. Just doesn't match my experience across too many hundreds of thousands of miles.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
On this issue of E-5, E-10, & etc...

I have consistently run my engines on the least expensive gasoline I can find. Across 436,000 miles on my Suburban and over 100,000 miles on several vehicles, and 96,000 on my 06 FEH I have had only one catalytic converter give up the ghost.

This occurred on my Suburban at 233,000miles. When the GMC dealer looked at it afterward his take was that an earlier repair to the ignition system done by a GM Dealer had caused a lean run condition that reflected into damaging the catalytic converter.

This happened when one of my sons was keeping the Suburban at college and I was "allowing" someone besides myself to do work on it.

I find no difference in mileage on my Suburban when alcohol is blended in, although I know it has some lesser energy in it. I quit paying attention to whether the gas is E-5, E-10, or E15. I think something else is the cause here.

Suffice it to say I just don't buy the "blame it on E-10" approach. Just doesn't match my experience across too many hundreds of thousands of miles.
It doesn't much matter that your admitting using Mobil 1 ATF in your FEH eCVT and voiding that warranty and admitting using E15 and voiding any engine or emissions warranty to me. The people monitoring this site need to know the correct requirements of their Ford FEH warranty. When Ford pays for warranties in the thousands of dollars, they are going to check for abuse to their requirements. An example, read what this article and the warnings say:
http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/bf100456.htm

GaryG

Old 05-29-2011, 06:42 AM

Trouble is you're just plain wrong.

I posted the Ford technical documentation showing that the ATF I used met their warranty.

In no place does E-xx gasoline, at low levels, void a warranty.

It's like your "sealed unit" assertion on the transaxle. Just doesn't match reality.

I've said it before: you mislead people with partial information.

Best of luck my friend...

Old 05-29-2011, 07:53 AM

My 06 FEH Owners manual states: "Gasolines that meet the World-wide Fuel Charter should be used when available." p.278 under Fuel Quality.

Google the World-wide Fuel Charter and see what comes up.

You'll find that up to E-10 is authorized in engines without qualification.

Sounds to me like Ford has no problem with up to E-10 and that there will be no warranty issues.

Hmmmm....... How's that again?

Quick Reply: FEH Cat Converter Plugged

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands