Escape/Mariner Owners - specific paint problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 06:30 PM
HEV's are your friend
Default Re: Escape/Mariner Owners - specific paint problem?

I have a 2006 FEH, Color Black and the paint problem is there. I had to look really hard, and I did find it, the primer gray blends in pretty well. So next step...anyone think the dealer would do anything about it? I am with the other users that I would not like to have the thing re-painted, however is having it touched up out of line? The area does not seem to be rusting at all, however I would still like it to at least somewhat match!

Old 09-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Enthusiast

Having seen the photos so I knew exactly where to look, I took another look at my 07 - there is no unpainted areas. Perhaps it was a problem with one assembly line.

Old 09-07-2006, 07:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EOppie
I have a 2006 FEH, Color Black and the paint problem is there. I had to look really hard, and I did find it, the primer gray blends in pretty well. So next step...anyone think the dealer would do anything about it? I am with the other users that I would not like to have the thing re-painted, however is having it touched up out of line? The area does not seem to be rusting at all, however I would still like it to at least somewhat match!
Touching up would involve painting a pretty large area to "blend" the new spray with the old and get a good match. Also its on an edge which is pretty nasty to spray and get right. I wouldn't recommend it myself.

If you can deal with it.... I'd personally just recommend going over it with a touch up paint (ie the little brush types). You won't see it because its on top of the vehicle but it would prevent rust issues.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:49 AM
HEV's are your friend

Would this be something I should request from the dealer for free? Or should I just pony up the dough?

Old 09-08-2006, 01:07 PM
Enthusiast

I took a look at my 06 Red Escape, and I didn't see any flaws in the red paint. It was built in March of 06.

Old 09-08-2006, 02:39 PM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EOppie
Would this be something I should request from the dealer for free? Or should I just pony up the dough?
The paint touchup bottle at the dealer would cost you prob $20. While you're there, you coudl ask wheter that's something they are willing to do. If they do, they'll prob keep your car for half day or more, whereas you could just touch it up in 5 min for ~$20.

It seems to me that although the paint wasnt complete in those areas, the clearcoat might have been - it feels smooth enough, so it might already be protected. Since I cant really see it, I would prob just let it be.

On the other hand, let us know if you try talking to the dealer about it. If it's a 10 min job for them and it's free, I'll try my dealer