Sway Bar Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 08:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default Sway Bar Squeak

Okay. I thought I’d share a problem I just had with my 06 FWD FEH. In case someone comes up with a similar problem.

For the past three weeks I’ve had a squeak when I accelerate from a stop position (EV or ICE) and when I came to a stop. The squeak sounded like a retched wrench being drawn back over a bolt just before applying torque on the forward motion. You know click click click click and just about that short of time. It sounded like it was coming from the front of the car. Actually I thought it was in the dash or close to it. A test drives with one of the shop guys and he thought it might be the driver’s seat.

Anyway they had it from 9am to 430 pm. I stayed the first two hours thinking it would be an easy fix based on what I was told but when the shop boss came out to tell me they couldn’t find it and now they had it on the lift torqueing (sp?) all the bolts I decided it was time to leave. He called about 430 and said it was fixed. I asked the obvious question “what was wrong” He gave me the short answer “rear sway bar was squeaking”.

When I got there they gave me a copy of the invoice and the tech had it more than half full of his work process that he spent the entire day doing, “inspected all suspensions ….body mounts……bolts and nuts……used chassis ear” so on and so forth. He had a busy day.

At the bottom of this short story was the answer I was looking for:

“Determined noise coming from left rear control arm bushing and where the subframe bolts to the body rnr right control arm and rear subframe bolts. Lubed right and left rear control arm bushing and also between subframe and body post. Road test. Noise went away. Verified fix.”

Well….it IS fixed and I’ll stay with the short answer.