Engine Oil Jaw Drop

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine Oil Jaw Drop

Walmart, K-Mart, etc.

They are far too frequently out of stock on the weight I need. Out here it's not like going down to the corner drugstore (which is 40 miles away).

Old 07-27-2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by jlkansascity
One minor correction; the Amsoil XL series are not blended; they are 100% synthetic oil. They use a different additive package to lower costs for those individuals who are more comfortable with changing more often than the extended drains available with the other oils. The XL series were originally designed for use in "quick change" oil change shops for customers who wanted to come back twice a year or whatever.

The XL is a "group 3" synthetic, and most of the other Amsoil products are a "group 4" synthetic. XL is API rated for those that want to stick with manufacturer recommended change intervals.

OK, hope that helps, gotta go.
It might help more if you explained more about what "Group 3" and "Group 4" actually means...

After looking at the bottle I have on hand and the Amsoil website, nowhere does it state that the XL product is a full synthetic. And seeing as how they have another product that is clearly marked and describe as being 100% Full Synthetic (AMSOIL 100% Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil (ASM)), I would never assume XL to be 100% Synthetic.

Until I see documentation from Amsoil stating that the XL product is 100% synthetic, I'll consider it some type of blend or less than 100% synthetic. In my mind this puts the XL product in the same category as others that sell "Synthetic Oil" that are blends or just have synthetic additives.

If I'm wrong and the XL is a true, 100% full synthetic, I HIGHLY recommend Amsoil CLEARLY state this on the packaging and website to reduce any confusion.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Administrator

the XL is synthetic based, so definitely synthetic oil.

http://www.amsoil.com/msds/xl_series.pdf

Old 08-08-2010, 08:20 PM

Got rear ended the other night. Probably minor. Decided to drain driveline oils and check for indication of damage in the oil. Good news is no apparent damage from the drains.

As a result I installed AmsOil in each of the Rear differential (75W-90), PTU (75W-140), Transaxle (ATF), and the engine (0W-20)(Not a concern for this but it was time for a change).

I'll put up a report on any change in mileage as a result of this after I get several thousand miles on my FEH. More to follow.

Had intended to change out one component at a time, but things changed.