Dead low voltage battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 05:21 AM
Enthusiast
Default Dead low voltage battery

Hi all:

I'm a new comer to this site. So Im sorry to be redundant on a previously discussed subject.

I own a 2007 mariner hybrid. I gather this is a better place to post, due to more activity. I recently had a highway shutdown, due to a faulty MECS pump. (See my post in the Mariner section). Thanks "Bill Winney" for the great post on identifying and replacing this pump.

It's going in for service tomorrow. I've read (on this site) about Dealer horror stories, concerning this repair. So I need to be prepared.

After the incident, I left the key on and ran down the low voltage battery. Will this erase any fault codes concerning the pump not running? If so, is there any sense in bringing it in? As they will have no codes.

Also, is there a TSP or callback on the MECS pump. Sure seems to be a high failure rate.

As long as I have your ears: What are the two other electrical devices, behind the Radiator?

One looks like a pancake motor, upper driver's side. You can hear this running, with the key on.

The other is a device with water hoses, lower drivers side, no noise. Both are behind the Radiator.

I know the MECS pump is under the radiator, passenger side.
I don't have a repair manual, but I think it's time to get one.

Thank again

Warren

Last edited by erik54; 08-11-2010 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:21 AM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: Dead low voltage battery

Most dealer's attitude is no codes, no problem! I'm facing a problem right now and that's what I got from my dealer.

Last edited by wptski; 08-11-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Question Re: Dead low voltage battery

There is an electric water pump to cool the electronic parts. The MECS the Motor/Electronics/Cooling/System.

There is a separate electric water pump to send hot water to the heater for cabin heat, so you get heat in EV mode at stoplights, etc.

There is a 3rd, traditional belt driven water pump for most engine cooling, that obvioulsy, only runs when the engine runs.

I'm a bit surprised at the reports of cars stopping because of this.
Did you not get any warning? Or not heed the warning?

The car is supposed to notify you by light(s) or message before the fail-safe shut down point. IE, the system is over normal, but not critically hot.

For example, you should ( key word, should ) be able to drive all winter in sub-zero with a faulty MECS pump, since the electronis don't need cooling.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:03 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Dead low voltage battery

I find that very disturbing, no warning before shutdown. I am usually very attentive to the dash and display. The low fuel light flashed once, on a trip. I picked that up immediately. This was nothing like that. I will have them check that out. I will be super attentive from now on.

Thanks for the function of the other pumps.