Engine Oil life (percent) reading and sale on synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:51 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Engine Oil life (percent) reading and sale on synthetic oil

Ok I have 2 questoins:

First, do you all use Synthetic oil in your HCH?

Second, do you change your oil when the life meter say (close to) zero percent?

Autozone has a sale going on right now where you get 5 QTs. and a fram tuffgurad oil filter for $17.99 + tax.

$17.99 + tax - $6.00 rebate = 11.99 + tax for a full Synthetic Oil Change...how can you beat that?

Look at page 3 of the ad upper left corner.

http://www.autozone.com/images/in_ou...ar_0531_07.pdf

Here is the link to the oil filter for an additional $6.00 rebate

http://www.framoilchange.com/rebate.pdf

Last edited by kenkobra; 06-07-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:09 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine Oil life (percent) reading and sale on synthetic oil

Wouldn't dream of not using a synthetic. (I'm a Mobil 1 and Amsoil kinda guy; but I don't mean to touch off any disputes about what's "best." Lots of folks here use the Honda stuff with fine results too.)

I changed mine at 7,000 / 20% just because 1) it's really weird to me to think about running a new car to 8000+ miles w/no oil change -- I don't care what kind of "conditioners" are in the factory fill; and 2) I didn't want to get to 15% and have the maintenance minder start doing its various rain dances on me. But lots of people on these boards take it right down to 0% with no problems; I'm sure you'll hear from some. Do what makes you comfy.

--d

Old 06-08-2007, 02:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Ken,
That's a great deal on the oil... the problem is going to be finding the needed 0W-20. That stuff is quite rare.

I've used Mobil 1, and more recently I used the Honda brand oil. I change mine when I get sick of seeing the little wrench light up each time I start up. The first change I did with 10% left. The most recent change I did at 5%.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
Ken,
That's a great deal on the oil... the problem is going to be finding the needed 0W-20. That stuff is quite rare.

I've used Mobil 1, and more recently I used the Honda brand oil. I change mine when I get sick of seeing the little wrench light up each time I start up. The first change I did with 10% left. The most recent change I did at 5%.
I know they have 5W-20 and per Honda it is ok to use this oil in your car if 0W-20 can not be found.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:52 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Has anyone actually used Mobil 1 5W-20? Does it make a significant difference in the mileage?

Old 06-09-2007, 12:29 AM
Enthusiast

switched to 0w-20 mobil 1 and never looked back. i get 1-2 mpg better using this oil even with 5k miles on it

Old 06-09-2007, 09:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MBNorCal
switched to 0w-20 mobil 1 and never looked back. i get 1-2 mpg better using this oil even with 5k miles on it
I would have to agree with you if you live in a code climate. I live in AZ and 5w-20 will not play a toll on MPG.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Enthusiast

I plan on using synthetic in my brand new 2007 when the time comes. My mileage is such that I will probably change either every six months or even yearly and never come close to 0% on the meter. Mostly it's my wife around town and this is tough duty for an oil. The Honda also has a small sump and OHC, both also relatively severe in oil service. 0W20 is nearly the same as 5W20 in milder climates and, as mentioned, easier to find. I probably will use Penzoil Platinum or Valvoline Synpower since both are sometimes on sale, unlike Mobil 1. Following my plan, any oil meeting the SM API specs would work fine, even WalMart house brand, but I prefer syn.