Engine Oil Jaw Drop

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Engine Oil Jaw Drop

Originally Posted by GaryG

It looks like these so called certified dealers operate by taking your order and having it dropped shipped to your home or business from some other party. Sounds like a snake oil scam and I'm not going to even try it now. A 8% increase in MPG over Mobil 1? I don't think so!

GaryG
Gary - don't bother, sounds like you've already made up your mind. So whatever happens your report is likely to be biased.

I've used AMSOil exclusively since break-in.....52K+ miles now. The data and comparison tests with other oils speak for themselves. Gets to me in less than 3 days when I order off the website. Its probably not for everyone.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Default Re: Engine Oil Jaw Drop

Originally Posted by glennb
Gary - don't bother, sounds like you've already made up your mind. So whatever happens your report is likely to be biased.

I've used AMSOil exclusively since break-in.....52K+ miles now. The data and comparison tests with other oils speak for themselves. Gets to me in less than 3 days when I order off the website. Its probably not for everyone.
I think I made it clear in that post I was not going to do the test. A oil manufacturer that claims their oil is API certified but does not let them test the oil raises a red flag. I don't like the marketing tactics, name changes or the story behind the inventor being a jet fighter pilot. Maybe someone should check with Ford directly to see if Amsoil voids their engine warranty. Was the name changes to hide past lawsuits?

Now that you have used Amsoil since break-in, are you getting 8% better gas mileage than the average driver or your EPA ratings?

If any of the top hypermilers use Amsoil, they would be reporting those claims but I not hearing any. Most all use Mobil 1 and recommend it. I was willing to give Amsoil a try and report honest findings and was very optimistic about it till I googled it and found the marketing scams. There is something about a mail ordered bride that I just don't care to fall for or take a chance on. Some of the Amsoil dealer websites looked professional but I don't think the guy living in that run down single family house I saw today designed it. I would have called the number of that dealer but he provided a map to his company. I knew the area from being a firefighter in the days and thought that was a single family home area. The map made it look like a commercial property. What a scam when I drove by the place.

GaryG

Old 07-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Imported from Detroit

It looks like these so called certified dealers operate by taking your order and having it dropped shipped to your home or business from some other party. Sounds like a snake oil scam and I'm not going to even try it now. A 8% increase in MPG over Mobil 1? I don't think so!

GaryG
Drop shipping is done frequently and sometimes saves time. Nothing like waiting for a backordered product and having them ship from CA to NY and then back to MI!!

Old 07-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Engine Oil Jaw Drop

Now that you have used Amsoil since break-in, are you getting 8% better gas mileage than the average driver or your EPA ratings?
I don't use full synthetic (AMSOil or Mobil 1) to improve FE. Trading engine lubrication variables for negligible mpg gains is probably not a wise trade off. [For instance, inflating the tires to 40psi and "suffering" the reduced ride quality is a trade off with immediate, measureable improvements to FE.]

I would label as "suspect" a claim by any motor oil company of significant or measurable improvements in FE. I note that Mobil 1 0W-20 is now being marketed as a "green" product.

Gary - it is probably valuable to this forum if you report your singular personal experiences with AMSOil. Drawing critical general conclusions from your one data point is probably not.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I used the words "Jaw Drop" for a reason.

I reported my numbers honestly.

"It looks like these so called certified dealers operate by taking your order and having it dropped shipped to your home or business from some other party. Sounds like a snake oil scam and I'm not going to even try it now. A 8% increase in MPG over Mobil 1? I don't think so!"

As I said: what don't you get about record the odometer and gallons and let the spreadsheet do the math? I reported something that I found vastly unusual. If you don't like it, so? Note that I didn't report it until I had so much mileage on this vehicle that I knew it was a reality not a fluke.

As I said in another post: If you can't show a mileage improvement over several thousand miles it "ain't" real. I view it as simply trickery.

In my case I pick up the oil from the dealer, he keeps stock, charges sales tax, provides technical info and is in a reasonably upscale part of town. This in an area where the billionaires have bought out the millionaires. He is a few miles away from my somewhat more modest digs.

I have been skeptical of Amsoil but Mobil One is hard to find, so I tried this stuff out, and it caused me a real, no kidding jaw drop. When I next change my FEH oil I'll put in Amsoil and see what I get.

You might consider the history of this engine: Mobil One since about 5,000, electric pre-lube oil pump and engine oil cooler since about 44,000, 1µ bypass filter and 8µ dual filter unit installed at 282,000.

Ya think I've taken good care of this baby, ya think?
Might there be a technical reason buried in here?
Ya think some might benefit from checking this out?
Ya think?

I make no pretensions about whether others will see the same.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:26 PM
Administrator

I have used mobil 1 0w/20 on my pilot and never tried doing the blackstone oil analysis until 170K miles later and it showed minimal wear even after 13K oil change interval using the mobil 5w/30 extended performance version because of the guaranteed 15K oil change interval. now that I got a new escalade hybrid and relied on the maintenance minder and changed the oil after 10K miles=12% oil life left, I got high copper amount numbers. the additives on the oil analysis is spot on, TBN is 2.6 which is a lot even after 10K miles. the viscosity is within specs but the copper is what ? me. due to "break-in" still(new engine) vs oil analysis after 170K miles when all the metals that needs to wear are all gone? the EP mobil 1 is still suppose to be GF4 more supersyn but with the claims of amsoil, it is surely tempting. the problem I have with it is the MLM style of selling. wanted to be a dealer myself to take out some tax benefits but looks like snake oil unless more confirmed tests done.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I got it. There's a reason I didn't try Amsoil and stuck with Mobil One for so long. Frankly if their distribution system worked I'd still be with them.
I'd never have tried Amsoil if it wasn't a friend that sold it locally and anyway quietly resisted him for a long time. Used to think it was associated with AmWay, its not.

So, my jaw drop was sincere. Initially I didn't pay attention to the numbers, but then noticed how many more miles I was getting on a load of fuel. Then I went back in my spreadsheet and voila! There was a story.

I'm going to change out my FEH when next up. So we'll see.

I have long used synthetic oil for a simple reason: it reduces wear & tear inside the engine relative to dino oil. So any improvement in mpg over dino oil is just a "bennie." (But beware of "synthetics" that are really dino oil with a synthetic additive package.)

More uniform molecule structure. Smaller molecule that is slipperier. Higher temperature stability. Less varnish because of the uniformity of the fluid structure. So in the end a far better deal for your engine.

I view any increase in mpg from synthetic as a side benefit that comes from all of the other good things about it. But its real and can't be sneezed at.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:53 AM

Okay, aside the fact I don't like the marketing tactics I will agree to do the test of Amsoil oil. Make no mistake I will dump it if there is any sign of a decrease in mileage and spread the word. My history here of telling what I believe is the truth should make or break this product with this group of FEH owners I care about.

I've worked with some of the so called top engineering system designers as the Battalion Chief of Plans Review in new construction and know a lot of them to be phonies and liars. However, there are some good ones out there just trying to make a living in this corrupt world.

I believe I'm taking a chance with Amsoil but I can't leave giving it a try on the table. Let me say this, I will know of any increase in mileage in just a few miles after I make the change. Any increase in mileage over Mobil 1 will tell me Amsoil is a better product. Any decrease in my mileage will reflect a worst product. I've already said if there is no change in MPG, I'll stay with Mobil 1. I firmly believe in my ability to compare what improves mileage and what doesn't. Call it what you want but John (gpsman1) was correct in asking me to do the test. The long haulers that have been around these forums know that John and I seldom agree on anything so maybe we're changing our ways.

The Mobil 1 I have in my '09 FEH does not need changing at my next fill-up. The present tank will most likely be a world record normal daily commute tank of near if not over 60mpg. I have already compared Mobil 1 to Motorcraft Blend and found no change in my MPG. I really don't expect Amsoil to be any different.

GaryG

Old 07-15-2010, 02:57 PM

I've did a little more research on oil and found this excellent but long explanation about the different oils. I tend to believe the guy because I've posted about the improvements in MPG I got when I changed form Motorcraft blend to dino Pennzoil 5W-20 in two of my past non hybrid trucks. The article and test at the end may help many of you interested.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/

GaryG

Old 07-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Guys:

Rather than see this turn into another pissing contest of who said what under differing conditions and why they are or are not qualified to make the assessments, how about this:

We get a mass request to Consumer Reports or Motor Trend (though they're not quite so unbiased), asking them to do a comparison of the most "energy saving" dino oil, Mobil 1, and AmsOil in one of their issues. Obviously, it would have to be an "apples to apples" comparison on vehicles, oil viscousity and environment across the board. It could be done using a multi-mode test: conventional driving, hypermiling techniques, and shall we say, aggressive or high-stress driving. It could help set this discussion to rest.

While I tend to agree with Gary's assessment (everything he's recommended that I have tried has worked; now I just have to get a SGII), without actually evaluating AmsOil myself, I plan to keep an open mind on it until we get some more of the concrete data he's working on. I know of people who swear by AmsOil, just are I know those who are as supportive of Mobil 1 or some of the other pure synthetic oils. My personal preference has been Mobil 1, but I'm always open for improvements. My 06 FEH is approaching 96K, and anything I can do to improve mileage without sacrificing engine reliability is a plus, where I'm concerned, mainly since I refuse to buy new cars any more. Finding this one at the price I did was a fluke, so I plan to take care of it.

Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Jaw Drop

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands