Does 2008 MMH have Sync?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:14 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Does 2008 MMH have Sync?

Originally Posted by DavidH
I was at the San Diego Auto Show yesterday where a factory rep gavbe me a SYNC demo. I asked about SYNC for FEH. She said it is scheduled for the '09 models.

I alos found '08 non-hybrid escape models with sound controls on the steering wheel. I expect these wheels will fit the hybrids. But, the steerig wheel buttons for the Sync option have different labels.

Sync has a USB connection for a music device, and bluetooth for the telephone. Sync interfaces with the phone, and can get some NAV data from the telephone address book. The information varies with the type of phone book program.

Sync is nice!
Based on the commercials, I agree, Sync looks great!

But if Ford really cared for their customers, they'd make this option not only an upgrade on new '09 models, but make it something other users could get as well, provided they already had certain features. For example, see if the Sync would work with CD-based navigation systems from older FEH/MMH vehicles. If not, at least make it something that could be upgraded for the DVD-based navigation system.

But I know Ford - they won't. They want people to buy new cars all the time. However, if Ford made some upgrades retroactive (especially when they are more software based, such as this), they might keep more customers in the long run. This way, buyers would feel that Ford cares more about them even after they leave the showroom. I guess though my thinking is either impossible or impractical in today's world.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by doctoru2
But I know Ford - they won't. They want people to buy new cars all the time. However, if Ford made some upgrades retroactive (especially when they are more software based, such as this), they might keep more customers in the long run. This way, buyers would feel that Ford cares more about them even after they leave the showroom. I guess though my thinking is either impossible or impractical in today's world.
Actually... I can't think of a single car company that does do this... so they aren't alone.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Actually... I can't think of a single car company that does do this... so they aren't alone.
You're right - and that's part of the problem. Some car companies can get away with it. Want the upgrade? Buy a new car!

But considering how American car companies are struggling, maybe it's time to show the customer some reason to remain loyal. And when it's a software perk - even if the customer has to pay for it (for example, I'd gladly pay $ to have the Sync installed) - then why not offer it?

Old 12-30-2007, 07:23 PM

I think that most car companies, particularly US makers, are very short sighted and stuck in their ways. The aftermarket business for accessories and electronics is HUGE and they have simply ignored it. For years car companies offered crummy stereos and even their "upgrades" were more expensive and worse than aftermarket products (other than the few co's that install true high end systems). Sync appears to be the first attempt to get a piece of that market. If Ford would standardize more of their tech so that their own products could plug and play in all of their models it would be cheaper and more profitable if you ask me.

"Want Sync in your Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicle?" No problem, we can install it in one day for $XXX."

I don't think there are too many people who have the luxury of just getting a new car, but it sure appears that there are ALOT of people out there with a hundreds of dollars to spend upgrading their current vehicles. If I could swap out my $#itty Nav system and plug a Sync right in for $1000 I would do so. But instead I will spend more money on a product from another manufacturer instead. Shame.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by MyPart
Don't expect to get steering wheel mounted radio controls on an '08 model either.
Just to make of mention of it here too. Starting with the 12/3/07 build date, all hybrids now come with the steering wheel radio controls as standard equipment.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Just to make of mention of it here too. Starting with the 12/3/07 build date, all hybrids now come with the steering wheel radio controls as standard equipment.
YIPPEE!!!

Old 01-03-2008, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
Starting with the 12/3/07 build date, all hybrids now come with the steering wheel radio controls as standard equipment.
It's about time.

I am one of those owners exactly like Tim K described, I removed the piece of garbage 2006 factory NAV unit & installed an aftermarket unit.

If I could have done a plug & play with a Ford unit that had the sync feature I would have seriously considered it.....

~John