Sync system available to be installed after purchase on 08 FEH?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:44 AM
Enthusiast
Question Sync system available to be installed after purchase on 08 FEH?

Hi, I just purchased a new 08 FEH and am new here. I've seen a few articles about the Sync system in this forum, but none seemed to answer this specific question. Since the vehicle is so hard to find (at least in the Atlanta area. There were only 3 of them w/i a 40 or 50 mile radius!), I've visited many dealers. I asked quite a few of them about the Sync system, which doesn't come in 08 vehicles (but apparently will be available in 09s). Most of the sales people I spoke with said that Ford would make it possible for the dealer to install the Sync system in 08 vehicles afterwards. Does anybody know if this is true? Or were the dealerships just saying anything to sell a car (even if they didn't have one on the lot)?

Thanks
Billy

Old 01-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Sync system available to be installed after purchase on 08 FEH?

Good point.

A second issue to pursue relates to the new nav version just announced for next years Ford products, wherein the Sirius sat comm is used to download real time weather and traffic data, and the system integrates it into the display. I would be very interested to know if that hardware/software upgrade would be possible.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bjg222
Hi, I just purchased a new 08 FEH and am new here. I've seen a few articles about the Sync system in this forum, but none seemed to answer this specific question. Since the vehicle is so hard to find (at least in the Atlanta area. There were only 3 of them w/i a 40 or 50 mile radius!), I've visited many dealers. I asked quite a few of them about the Sync system, which doesn't come in 08 vehicles (but apparently will be available in 09s). Most of the sales people I spoke with said that Ford would make it possible for the dealer to install the Sync system in 08 vehicles afterwards. Does anybody know if this is true? Or were the dealerships just saying anything to sell a car (even if they didn't have one on the lot)?

Thanks
Billy
I would lean toward dealerships saying anything to sell a car....

I've never heard of car companies offering anything that would end up being an '09 upgrade to an '08 vehicles. Its one of the ways they push new cars out of the factory every year.

Could they do it? yeah.... but I think it would be a FIRST.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
I would lean toward dealerships saying anything to sell a car....

I agree & I work at a dealer. We absolutely DO NOT do that where I work now (we depend on repeat & referral business), but I have worked in other dealers & most of the jokers I have worked with over the years where total scumbags that would promise ANYTHING to get a car delivered.....

By the way, real time weather & traffic is very nice to have. I have XM radio/weather/traffic through my in-dash NAV unit & I love it......It can be programmed to auto-reroute around traffic jams/acidents etc etc

http://www.pbase.com/jmorton10/image/91484295

http://www.pbase.com/jmorton10/image/91484296

http://www.pbase.com/jmorton10/image/91484297

~John

Old 01-11-2008, 12:21 PM

I think there is alot more to the Sync system than just the in-dash unit and so I think it is unlikely that it could be plugged right in. The sync requires a mic for voice activation and steering wheel controls to activate the system, neither of which the FEH has. I'm guessing it would require a substantial amount of work to retrofit it into a model for which it was not intended.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tim K
I think there is alot more to the Sync system than just the in-dash unit and so I think it is unlikely that it could be plugged right in. The sync requires a mic for voice activation and steering wheel controls to activate the system, neither of which the FEH has. I'm guessing it would require a substantial amount of work to retrofit it into a model for which it was not intended.

Good points, even if it WAS possible to do the retrofit I would think the cost would be prohibitive. Since the sync features are available at a reasonable price in the aftermarket it seems that is probably the way to go......

~John

Old 03-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Enthusiast
Lightbulb Re: Sync system available to be installed after purchase on 08 FEH?

Originally Posted by jmorton10
Good points, even if it WAS possible to do the retrofit I would think the cost would be prohibitive. Since the sync features are available at a reasonable price in the aftermarket it seems that is probably the way to go......

~John
I Just bought a 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid with 4WD and has everything but sync!

The funny thing is that it has the steering wheel buttons, and i called ford about adding mobile-ease and they said its not avalbile on a number of 2008 vechiles. I called the Accessories department at the dealership and asked him what was up with that and he couldnt confirm or deny why ford mobile ease is not to be installed, but another accesories dealer rumored that SYNC for select 2008 vechiles is in the "works" but couldnt confirm anything with dates with rumored time frame of 2-4 months.

My guess is certain 2008 vechiles would beable to be retrofited with SYNC as an upgrade for an unnammed price. I would prolly spend as much as 750 for this option if could control my ipod. I know the Navigator has basically the same NAV system as the MMH but with a little different software as it has SYNC in it.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:16 PM
Enthusiast

Hi,

I too have a new FEH - and my sales folks told me the same thing. It must at least be a company line. However, I really need a handsfree bluetooth device. Does anyone have a calibration on when the when is. It would seem to me to be a bit of simple software.

Douger

Old 03-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by douger
Hi,

I too have a new FEH - and my sales folks told me the same thing. It must at least be a company line. However, I really need a handsfree bluetooth device. Does anyone have a calibration on when the when is. It would seem to me to be a bit of simple software.

Douger

I talk to ford directly about this and they dont have an offical answer, they said watch syncmyride.com FAQ and the Latest Buzz for newest info, but he did say call back in a few months and they may have more information. Being an IT Administrator I would imagine that SYNC is nothing more than a module with software plugined into the Bus system with a microphone mounted somewhere.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Enthusiast

If you go to www.syncmyride.com there are no cars listed. Seems like a OK idea but honestly I don't think I would ever use it. You have to buy certain phone.... products to make it work. I would like to see things work better with the Sirius and Nav. The Sirius weather and trafic interface does not work real well (not a Ford problem just the delay in getting the data to you issue) I have that on another car and the info is always late getting updated. 15 min. delay on info is a life time when you are talking traffic. Seems like their efforts would be better spent on improving some of the stuff that they already offer.

Jon

Quick Reply: Sync system available to be installed after purchase on 08 FEH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands