2008 FEH Power Points

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 07:41 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2008 FEH Power Points

Greetings Forum...I am the proud owner of a 2008 FEH 4WD...just picked it up last week. So far I'm pretty pleased with it. Averaging just over 28mpg on my first tank without really trying...also it has been in the 90's over the past week and I have been running the a/c a lot.
Anyway...my question is this...I have my mobile phone plugged in to one of the power points (the standard cigarette lighter type one...not the 110 volt). I typically leave it plugged in this way 24/7 to make sure the phone is always charged (and for convenience...easier than plugging it in and then unplugging it all the time). On previous vehicles (Explorers), the power points remain on when the vehicle is not in use, but I have never been concerned as the draw is so minimal. I noticed that the power point remains on when my new FEH is not in use and have to wonder if it is still ok to keep my mobile phone plugged in all the time. Is this ok...will it put too much drain on the car battery?
Thoughts?

Old 06-27-2007, 10:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 FEH Power Points

Originally Posted by sodajerk
Greetings Forum...I am the proud owner of a 2008 FEH 4WD...just picked it up last week. So far I'm pretty pleased with it. Averaging just over 28mpg on my first tank without really trying...also it has been in the 90's over the past week and I have been running the a/c a lot.
Anyway...my question is this...I have my mobile phone plugged in to one of the power points (the standard cigarette lighter type one...not the 110 volt). I typically leave it plugged in this way 24/7 to make sure the phone is always charged (and for convenience...easier than plugging it in and then unplugging it all the time). On previous vehicles (Explorers), the power points remain on when the vehicle is not in use, but I have never been concerned as the draw is so minimal. I noticed that the power point remains on when my new FEH is not in use and have to wonder if it is still ok to keep my mobile phone plugged in all the time. Is this ok...will it put too much drain on the car battery?
Thoughts?
The drain at that point is from the 12V battery... If it didn't cause issues in the Explorer it shouldn't be a big problem for the Escape so I think you are fine.... The 330V is offline if the vehicle is off.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

In fact I would suspect you are better off. On a regular start, it's the 330 battery that starts you, so even if you draw the 12V down, you're still good to go.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by andyh
In fact I would suspect you are better off. On a regular start, it's the 330 battery that starts you, so even if you draw the 12V down, you're still good to go.
You still need the 12V alive enough to close the relays (switches) to connect the 330V... so you don't want it dead. That being said... you are right--closing a couple of relays takes alot less current then trying to roll over the starter motor in a normal car from the 12V system