2006 FEH Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 10:21 PM
Enthusiast
Angry 2006 FEH Electrical Issues

Hey all,

I've had my 2006 FEH for about 4 months now and am getting fed up with electrical issues. While the car is running I typically don't have any issues, but I have several issues with the car turned off:

- Very often when I shut it off it does a thing where the headlights flash once, then all the gauges wiggle for a bit while the CD player cycles noisily. When it's done with this (5-10 seconds) it will have reset the radio presets and set the trip odometer and mpg readout to zero. The ScanGauge III I have plugged in also resets and makes me accept the terms and conditions on-screen again. Sometimes it does this sequence right away after removing the key, sometimes not until I open the driver's door.
- Remote lock/unlock is super intermittent. Sometimes when I get out it won't lock but if I open and close the driver's door it works great again. Sometimes it locks normally but I have to unlock it manually because it won't respond at all.
- Sometimes when I get into the car, it will be completely dead. No interior lights, no response to the key, etc. The fix (again) is to open and close the driver's door once or twice and suddenly it wakes up and is fine. Usually when it wakes up it does the headlights / gauges / CD player reset thing.

In the 4 months I've had this vehicle this problem has increased in frequency from once every week or two to now probably half of my drives. Is my car possessed? What do I need to do to exterminate the gremlins?

Old 06-24-2023, 12:27 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 FEH Electrical Issues

Realized that the last issue (car sometimes appearing completely dead) could only be one of a couple of things - there aren't many failure points that affect *everything* electrical. Popped the hood and wiggled the battery terminals, sure enough the positive was quite loose. Tightened it up and all of these problems have been gone for about a week and a half now. Also gone are the intermittent wrench light and brake faults I was getting pretty often while driving as well. Felt stupid that it took so long for me to figure it out, but happy to have exterminated the gremlins.