Various related/nonrelated electrical issues.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Enthusiast
Default Various related/nonrelated electrical issues.

Hello from a new member. In the past I've found forums specific to a particular vehicle of immense help; most recently with my last vehicle: a VW TDI.

I am now the proud owner of a 2009 HCH and know that the union of minds and experience that frequent forums such as this one are invaluable. With this in mind I'm hoping that I might get a bit of help with the following intermittant problems that have been occurring, not all at the same time and not all initiating at the same time.

Auto engine shut off does not always function when the car is stopped. I have made two appointments with the dealer to have this checked but, because the problem has not occurred on the appt. date, I have been unable to have it checked.

Passenger seat belt light illuminates at random times.

Drivers side door window occaisionally will stop at about four inches from open when attempting to fully open and will reverse itself and close.

There was another problem that occurred a few times when I first purchased the vehicle but I guess I'm having a senior moment; I can't remember what it was.

Has anyone else had any of these issues and found a solution? I've decided to insist that the dealership attempt to resolve the issues if for no other reason than to have a record at the dealership that the issues exist.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Various related/nonrelated electrical issues.

Auto stop can be a funny thing until you get used to it. In order to auto stop, you must be in "D", and your defrost must be fully off. If either of those aren't true, the car won't auto stop. Also, there is some logic in the programing to not auto stop in emergency braking situations, so sometimes coming to a hard stop won't trigger AS. If you come in too slowly, sometimes the car thinks you're in stop and go, so it won't stop, so there is a happy medium between fast and slow stops.

Also, you only get one auto stop until you release the brake and exceed 10mph. If you're in stop and go without breaking 10mph, AS won't be triggered.

Regarding the seatbelt light, maybe you have a ghost? Seriously though, I see mine turn off-on sometimes when I have something sort of heavy on the seat--usually on decelleration when the force is enough to trip the trigger. If yours happens without anything on the seat, you probably should have your sensor checked. That one is a safety issue--you don't want the airbag to think it's off when you have a passengar.

No idea about the door...

Old 07-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Auto engine shut off, or Auto Stop, doesn't alway occur, for a variety of reasons:

* Car not fully warmed up
* IMA battery state-of-charge insufficient
* Certain heat/vent options set, defrost/defog, etc
* Transmission in S mode
* Repeated low speed starts and stop
* Very low ambient temperature

* Oh yeah, emergency stop, since you might need to get moving again ASAP, Auto Stop is disabled during very sudden stops.

The passenger seat belt light (and I think this is actually the air bag light) should come on briefly at start-up, if it behaves like our '06. Other than that it should stay off, I believe unless you have a small child in the front seat. Also, leaving something like a briefcase on the seat might trigger the light. The logic is that the air bag should not deploy if there's a small child in the seat. In any event it's not a good idea to have a small child in the front seat. They should be in rear seat, and depending on their weight, in either a full child car seat or booster seat. Still, I would have the dealer check out what is happening with this, even iif it turns out to be ok.

Regarding the Drivers side door window, I would definitely have that checked. Sounds like it's hitting something. I think there are bulletins regarding the window jumping the track, fwiw.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Think green.

A few days after I got my car I noticed the SRS (supplemental restraint system) light was on intermittently. The dealership did a diagnosis and retrieved an error code. After they cleared the code, the problem has never recurred.
Maybe you have a similar problem with your seat belt indicator light.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

If someone is in the front passenger seat and leans on the door the SRS light will blink.

thanks
Brian

ps my other car is a TDI too

Old 07-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

The driver side window issue is a common one. I believe on mine it was an issue of too much "play" on the motor and thus the window did not go up properly and it came back down as a safety setting. The dealer should take care of this with new motor, and possibly new run channel if it got damaged.