Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

FE and Fuel prices related!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 04:48 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default FE and Fuel prices related!?

I found this quite interesting. Even though this is only the first 7500 miles on my 05 HCH, there is an amazing correlation (in my eyes) between the price of gas and my FE. I just used MS Excel's charting functions and this is what I have after 17 tanks. Has anyone else been charting this information that would be able to provide a chart?

I have to reasonings behind this data:

1) When Fuel is more expensive, I drive more carefully and try to get maximum FE more often.

2) The fuel stations might be watering down the gas when prices are high to get their gas lower than surrounding stations (doubtful), I always buy the cheapest gas, and do not consistently use the same station.

Anyone else that can chime in, I am quite intrigued.

Im not sure if the chart above posted, so here is the a link:

CLICK HERE FOR CHART

Old 08-09-2005, 06:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FE and Fuel prices related!?

Okay now I wanna make my MPG / Gas $ chart. Good job!

Old 08-10-2005, 12:40 PM

Have you tried running a regression analysis on this. That would better verfiy your conclusion rather than just eyeballing it.

Old 08-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am not sure what a regression analysis is, but I will do one if you tell me what it is.

I also realize that my data is only for 17 tanks/7500 miles and 6 months time span. I think that this will be a lot more interesting after a year or two and 30k miles.

The reason that I posted is because I wondered if anyone else had noticed a similar pattern.

At this point, I dont think it is much, because there are obviously a lot of other factors for your FE such as temperature, type of driving, cargo, etc., but if this keeps close for a couple of years, or for several people, I would be interested to peer further.

Old 08-10-2005, 02:00 PM

I'm only 8 tanks, 3500 miles in, but I'll slap my numbers on a graph, too, and see what it looks like. Of course, especially this early on, I'd like to think I've become a more practiced HCH driver (rising MPG line) and we all know what oil has done in the last 4 months (rising $/gallon), so even if my lines end up perfectly aligned, it would still not signify correlation at this point so much as happenstance. Time will tell.

Old 08-10-2005, 02:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am still making adjustments in my driving style too, thats whay I think we need a lot more data. Even with my adjustments, my FE is sticking pretty well with the prices. I am I am less amazed about the increases in price correlating with my FE, I am more amazed at the decreases in price decreasing my FE.

Ryan

Old 08-10-2005, 02:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You aren't the only one. I've noticed now if I sustain 40-45MPH in a 45 limit most cars remain 100-200 feet comfortably behind. It's a welcome change.

I haven't changed my habits for prices though.

Old 08-10-2005, 03:50 PM

You can have Excel you can do a correlation analysis (sorry I confused myself, it shouldn't be a regression analysis, I don't think, its been years since I had a stats class) if you have the data analysis add in activated. So first you have to have the analysis add in activated.

After that, the system will then give you additional data analysis items you can use to do real statistical analysis.

So, go to Tools->Data Analysis and then choose correlation. You will want to give the computer the data area for the MPG and prices you have paid. Don't include the fill-up number as that will mess with the outcome of the correlation.

A correlation analysis will tell you if your data truly follows a common pattern or not. The closer to 1 the output, the greater the correlation of your data is, which will mean that your conclusion is correct. However the lower the value is the less correlation there is, and your conclusion is not so strong.

Old 08-10-2005, 05:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

I get "correlation - input range must be a contiguous reference" I dont think that I am doing something correctly.

Old 08-10-2005, 05:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

I get at 0.588287926

Like I said, I will be watching this over a more broad range. I have to factor in the fact that my driving habits have been changing as well as my car.

I will keep an eye on it.

Quick Reply: FE and Fuel prices related!?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands