2005 FEH (!) BRAKE Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2021, 06:23 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation 2005 FEH (!) BRAKE Light

Has anyone ever experienced a brake error of C1471? I can't find much information about it online. The best I can gather is that it is a generic code thrown by the HCU. I can't tell if this is related to some sort of HCU failure (which seems extremely unlikely) of if this may have something to do with the master cylinder. On rare occasions when I come up to a stoplight, the red (!) BRAKE light will turn on, as well as a message saying "Service Brake System". When I checked for a code, it revealed C1471. If I turn the car off and back on, the light goes away and so does the message. It will not pop up for another week or so, maybe longer.

From the crappy websites I've found, it claims it has to do with the master cylinder. I wouldn't have a problem with just replacing the master. However, the master cylinders for the hybrid models of the Escape are a whopping $850. Also, the hydraulic control unit is turning on and off throughout the ride just like it should. So I can't seem to figure out what is actually the problem here. The brakes still feel great. They never cut out or get weak and seem perfectly fine. I've also checked for leaks and found nothing and the fluid level is still at the "MAX" mark.

I consider myself fairly mechanic-savvy, but this is a mystery that alludes me.

Old 12-04-2021, 04:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2005 FEH (!) BRAKE Light

On a 2005 this strikes me as a signal of problems in the HCU, which can be expensive to fix. There aren't very many references to it here on EVF or anywhere else.

I recommend that you subscribe to the Ford Motorcraft manuals site for 72 hours and try to diagnose the problem using the correct service manual for a 2005. It should also detail the bleeding procedure. It could be that you have terrible dirty fluid and bad brake lines, and a full flush and bleed combined with new brake lines will solve it all. 16 years is a long time if the brake fluid has never been changed, and the old brake lines are known to be problem areas. If the lining has degraded or disintegrated, you could be having problems based on that alone.

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/Home/SetCountry?

I see that you've posted this question on several other forums in the past few days and unfortunately I don't have a good answer for you from my experience. The HCU brake system on the '05 models is very different from the one on my '10 model.

Best of luck and hopefully someone will have a better answer.