2007 FEH Intermittent start and stall

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 12:18 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2007 FEH Intermittent start and stall

Hello,
I've recently purchased 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid from city fleet. It's an old car with 150K on it but seemed to be well maintained. Need a car to complete my last year in college. Since it's California - body is in good shape. Not much rust.
So first two months everything was OK than I had to replace battery cooling fans. Did it by myself based on great video available. MPG went back to 29-30.
Recently I've got intermittent start issue. In the morning it would start, run for 2-3 sec and then shut down with Red Triangle. I used Forscan to pull codes - P1A10-FF, P0A1F-20 and P0A7D-20, but they do not indicate a root cause. Nothing wrong with the battery.
After cycling the key in most cases engine would run fine and during the day would never have issue with starting. Sometimes it takes several key cycles. Looks like there is some correlation with temperature: after warm night it did not happened, but colder night seems to be a trigger for the fault. But might be just a coincidence.

I guess something is about to die but not sure what to check. Looked at the video
and suspected fuel pump.
Have dumps for few good and bad start-ups. Is there anyone who had similar experience and resolved it or can guide me through troubleshooting. Since it's not happening every morning - it's difficult to find and I'm plugging Forscan every time I start the car to find a clue.
Analyzing logs I can see that in case of failure - there is LONGFT1 is quite high and not changing 8.98%. Right after key recycle it does change. Another difference - FPR in a cold start has a bit different behavior. There is a dip during the fault. Not sure fluctuations and dip are big enough to stall the engine. When start is OK - FPR is pretty much close to 39.7PSI. And last difference I've noticed - MAF in case of failure was significantly lower than in good case at approx same RPM. Zip contains forscan strimming logs for these for cases just in case exact values are needed.

So here is first logged failed start

Here is 20 second later after cycling the key - good start.

Two days later failed start (added a few more parameters to the plot)

Good start after 20 second.

Any guidance in what else to monitor or what to check would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files
File Type: zip
FORScan.zip (40.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 12-07-2021, 09:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 FEH Intermittent start and stall

Hi,
After Battery calibration - car starting just fine for two days now.
Can someone record following parameters during engine start on their FEH using FORSCAN oscilloscope tool and post it here?
Ideally I wanted to see FP, FRP, RPM, LONGFT1, MAF and ETC_ACT. Would be great if you can post Forscan live streaming log file as well. I wanted to check if my fuel pump is due for replacement. How much fluctuation on the FRP is expected during start-up and when Idling? I do not want to stuck in the middle of nowhere with failed fuel pump.