08 Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 08 Speaker Replacement

Originally Posted by Mark_bc
It really does amaze me though, that I can replace the crappy factory system for less than $400 with a system that sounds first class. When you are paying over $30,000 for this car why the heck can't Ford put in an equivalent system? You would think that if they were buying these systems in the thousands they would paying pretty much wholesale, ie. it would cost them probably not much over $200. Think about it. $200 more on the price tag wouldn't mean a **** thing. So why so many of the car manufacturers insist on installing these crap factory systems that folks end up just chucking out? Especially with cars like hybrids that are supposed to be about being environmentally friendly. Sorry about the rant but ****!
D--n well put!
That's why I've never purchased anything more than the base model stereo. For a fraction of the cost of the "premium" stereo option, you can have a great system that's exactly what you want.

On a side note, I have to say how unimpressed I was with the graphics on the Sat/Nav radio on the vehicle I test drove. I didn't play too much with it, but as a designer and frequent iPod/PC/cellphone/gadget user, I just could not believe that that was the interface on a brand-new hybrid vehicle. I'm sure it would not take much for Ford to come up with some great-looking software for it.

-todd

Old 07-13-2007, 05:56 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I read alot of people complaining about the factory nav system in several different threads, but I have to say I am impressed with it. I would recommend the system to anyone on the fence. What would a 320 watt stereo (with a seperate amp and woofer), a 6 cd changer, a satellite radio system a navigation system and a scan tool ALL installed and wired with an external antenna and the nav system run thru the radio audio so as to MUTE the radio automatically as it gives voice direction COST??

I am no ex stereo salesperson, but I would relate it to these experiences....

I have used a Magellan nav system and the factory system is just as accurate, indicates the same ways, (voice nav etc).. and has some features that the Magellan did not. OR at least I did not know about them in the Magellan...

One example would be not only the point of interest locations, (hotels/gas/etc), which the Magellan has, but the factory nav has the phone numbers also.

The radio reception is great, the sirius sat radio is very good signal wise. While the addition of two front tweeters would make it even better, this system sounds very good to me with deep bass and clear sound quality. How loud do you folks listen to your radios I wonder? I am a 36 year old and this system has all the volume I can handle at 3/4 of the volume bar graph. Now if you folks are still in your twenties and are looking to boom boom down the street as you rattle your license plate, then I apologize for not understanding how there is dissatisfaction with the factory system.

I have had kenwood and alpine and sony and several other systems in the past, with boston acoustic speakers and bazooka bass tubes and polk blah blah... I just can't understand how this system does not fit anyone's needs??

Why in the world hack up a dash, or suction cup some crap to your windshield with a bungee cord to your cig lighter and some wire out of your door or windshield moulding or double stick tape holding your sat radio head unit when you can have it all factory installed, wired correctly... dim appropriately with the lights, have an easy to use touch screen and show some of the most important HYBRID information for getting good gas mileage?? To save some $$ and slap aftermarket products in after spending extra to get a hybrid in the first place is a bit confusing to me.

just my .02

Sean

Old 07-13-2007, 06:08 PM
rb1
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08FEH
<snip>
The radio reception is great, the sirius sat radio is very good signal wise. While the addition of two front tweeters would make it even better, this system sounds very good to me with deep bass and clear sound quality. How loud do you folks listen to your radios I wonder? I am a 36 year old and this system has all the volume I can handle at 3/4 of the volume bar graph. Now if you folks are still in your twenties and are looking to boom boom down the street as you rattle your license plate, then I apologize for not understanding how there is dissatisfaction with the factory system.
<snip>
Sean

It's loud enough -- I don't think anyone is complaining about that.

It's the quality of sound that is the issue. It's good. But for the amount of money that I paid for it, I would expect far better quality. I know how good a factory system can sound when done right.

What's frustrating is that this system CAN be far better, and it's not a question of money at all. Take the tweeters, for example. Placing them in the sail panels would have made them sound far clearer, but for some reason, Ford put them in the worst location possible.

Or take voice navigation. The SAME nav system supports voice nav in other Ford models, just not in the Escape/Mariner. No backup camera, same story. You see, for a 30-grand compact SUV, these features should be pretty much standard. At almost $2,000, this is one of the most expensive nav systems in any non-luxury SUV.

When you see how well Ford has designed this amazing vehicle, it makes it all the more frustrating that they'd cheap out on the little things. It matters.

My 2c too!

Old 07-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rb1
It's the quality of sound that is the issue.
I completely agree. I transplanted my Alpine head unit in shortly after I bought it, and there is a noticeable improvement in sound quality. Even with the cheap factory speakers, I'm pleased.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:38 PM
rb1
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brady
I completely agree. I transplanted my Alpine head unit in shortly after I bought it, and there is a noticeable improvement in sound quality. Even with the cheap factory speakers, I'm pleased.
Therein lies my hesitation in replacing the speakers -- I don't want to change out the nav/stereo since I want the HEV screens. Changing the speakers but not the stereo may or may not be worth the effort... I guess I'll wait until I can talk to someone who's done it with the '08s.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rb1

It's the quality of sound that is the issue. It's good. But for the amount of money that I paid for it, I would expect far better quality. I know how good a factory system can sound when done right.

What's frustrating is that this system CAN be far better, and it's not a question of money at all. Take the tweeters, for example. Placing them in the sail panels would have made them sound far clearer, but for some reason, Ford put them in the worst location possible.

Or take voice navigation. The SAME nav system supports voice nav in other Ford models, just not in the Escape/Mariner. No backup camera, same story. You see, for a 30-grand compact SUV, these features should be pretty much standard. At almost $2,000, this is one of the most expensive nav systems in any non-luxury SUV.

When you see how well Ford has designed this amazing vehicle, it makes it all the more frustrating that they'd cheap out on the little things. It matters.

My 2c too!
Well put.

I also can appreciate Sean's comments about having one unified system.

However, none of Ford's options met my needs. The $695 Audiophile system sounds great, but I'd prefer a head unit that can control my iPod; I haven't listened to CDs in my car in over a year. And it's frustrating to know that I'm driving this advanced vehicle with one-way paper cone speakers.

My comments on the Sat/Nav system were merely regarding it's display and user interface. Ford no doubt spent a great deal of time and resources developing this vehicle and personally I think customers deserve a digital interface that is more on par with that of the PCs and cellphones we're already accustomed too.

Anyway... I finally got my speakers replaced with some two-way Polks and they sound so much better. Anyone out there, just watch out or tell your installer to watch out for the small plastic piece behind the door latch. It's tough to get out and one of mine got a little scratched up in the process.

-todd

Old 07-15-2007, 06:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rb1
I don't want to change out the nav/stereo since I want the HEV screens. Changing the speakers but not the stereo may or may not be worth the effort... I guess I'll wait until I can talk to someone who's done it with the '08s.

It doesn't matter if it's an 08 or not, Ford factory speakers are crap & it doesn't matter what year it is or what sound system you have from the factory (the "audiophile" system is one of the worst factory upgrade systems I have ever heard regardless of year but it is pretty simple to drastically improve it).

Just swapping the speakers out to something decent will noticeably improve the sound although you really should add an AMP at the same time. The factory head unit will sound just fine with the addition of an AMP & all new speakers.

~John

Old 07-15-2007, 10:41 AM
rb1
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmorton10
<snip>

Just swapping the speakers out to something decent will noticeably improve the sound although you really should add an AMP at the same time. The factory head unit will sound just fine with the addition of an AMP & all new speakers.

~John
That's really good to know. Thanks! The speaker upgrade now definitely goes in my Christmas list. The wifely one will start getting hints in about a month

Old 07-16-2007, 06:48 AM
Enthusiast

Anybody look in to replacing the non-nav audiophile system with some kind of aftermarket one? I haven't been able to find any kits or anything yet. Anyone have any luck? Does anyone know if the stereo electrical system will have any trouble with an aftermarket head unit because it's a Hybrid? Thanks in advance...

Russ
'08 Escape Hybrid

Old 07-16-2007, 09:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by norrin302
Anybody look in to replacing the non-nav audiophile system with some kind of aftermarket one? I haven't been able to find any kits or anything yet. Anyone have any luck? Does anyone know if the stereo electrical system will have any trouble with an aftermarket head unit because it's a Hybrid? Thanks in advance...

Russ
'08 Escape Hybrid
When I had my speakers installed over the weekend I asked about getting a new head unit installed and the installer said that since it's so new I'd have to wait a while for new kits to come out. As far as the electrical, the hybrid issue doesn't present a problem but he did say that since both the stereo and climate controls are wired to the display system, it could create some issues.

-todd

Quick Reply: 08 Speaker Replacement

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands