Why No Engine Tachometer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 02:56 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Why No Engine Tachometer?

Originally Posted by Resist
I'm not saying the engine will get damaged if a vehicle doesn't have one. I am saying a tach provides driver feedback about the engine. When you are used to having a tach, you really miss that information when you don't have it.
Prius is a just family sedan starting $22,175, not a sporty sedan.
Lexus GS 450h is a luxury and sporty sedan starting $55,615, but it does not have a tachometer.
Please let us know any good reason Prius has to have the tacho while the GS 450h does not.

Ken@Japan

Old 10-08-2006, 05:36 AM

In several previous discussion forums the general conclusion is that we want a 'vehicle data' screen, but do not agree on what should be included. The "PSD nomograph" people would certainly want the 3 rpms including the engine. The 'energy balance' people want the sort of things that Bob described. The 'thermal protection' people want temperatures from the HV battery and PSD.

We can all get these things, more or less, from the aftermarket. If Toyota wants help designing the display for the next model, just PM me. But what they *really* oughta do is make sure the ICE cannot continue to fire w/o adequate oil pressure. That may have only killed a Prius or two so far, but a dim idiot light is not the answer.

Another thread hijacked by...

DAS

Old 10-08-2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by ken1784
Prius is a just family sedan starting $22,175, not a sporty sedan. Please let us know any good reason Prius has to have the tacho while the GS 450h does not.
My old Honda CVT Insight had a tach and it was not a sporty sedan. It also had a second gear mode which I called sport mode, because I could get up to speed faster with higher rpms. But the tach also helped me find the sweet spot for maximum gas mileage. It also helped me to confirm the engine was off at stops in noisy areas where I couldn't hear the engine running. This was important because the A/C would only work with the engine running and at times when I wanted to save fuel more than keep cool I would forget to turn off the auto climatic control. In the Prius, the energy screen may show no energy coming from the engine but that doesn't mean the engine is not running. A tach would confirm that it wasn't running. But as I said before a tach could be added to the LCD screen with a software update, very easy and very inexpensive.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:37 PM

But as I said before a tach could be added to the LCD screen with a software update, very easy and very inexpensive.
I'm asking Santa Claus for some of that easy and inexpensive software.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:47 PM

Actually for a company like Toyota an rpm software is VERY inexpensive to add to the Prius computer, just to show a tach dial on the screen. Even an OBD scan tool will show rpms and it can be plugged in by you. So the information is there, all you need is the tach display pattern on the LCD screen.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:54 PM

Actually for a company like Toyota an rpm software is VERY inexpensive to add to the Prius computer, just to show a tach dial on the screen. Even an OBD scan tool will show rpms and it can be plugged in by you. So the information is there, all you need is the tach display pattern on the LCD screen.
Because Toyota is a large company, the software would be even more expensive.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:50 PM

Hmmmm, maybe you are right.

Old 10-08-2006, 08:46 PM

I find the tachometer on my CVT Civic Hybrid complements the instananeous mileage indicator very well, as I can adjust throttle position to try to hold the RPMs steady when accelerating to try to keep the engine operating efficiently. I find the tach most useful when accelerating or climbing hills, and the instant MPG display most useful for highway cruising, or gradual acceleration.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:37 AM

http://www.hybridinterfaces.ca/numerics.html

Apparently my tachometer is already in my Prius.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:17 AM

I'm aware the most precise Prius drivers here and on PriusChat have installed secondary readouts with just this sort of information. I would love to see a Tachometer and Kilowattometer (heh heh) on the Prius - Analog please. It would be a joy to watch the electric rev up, then the Tach.

And it could seriously improve my mileage when choosing 5mph slower or faster could move my Tach into an optimal rpm. I've seen thise with the Tach Mod mention staying above 1500rpm is the key. The Prius computer can protect the ICE (gas engine) from damage and try for best mileage given input, but only an informed driver can vary speed for optimal gas usage.