Why No Engine Tachometer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 12:18 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Why No Engine Tachometer?

I'm sure many think having a tach in an automatic is pointless but it really isn't. I'm just curious why Toyota felt the need to leave this gauge out for the Prius.

Old 10-05-2006, 03:49 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Why No Engine Tachometer?

Why do you think it should have one?

Old 10-05-2006, 04:25 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Why No Engine Tachometer?

Originally Posted by Resist
I'm sure many think having a tach in an automatic is pointless but it really isn't. I'm just curious why Toyota felt the need to leave this gauge out for the Prius.
I recently started using a mini-scanner on my 03 Prius. My feeling is the MFD should have an 'engineering' display that shows:

1) vehicle kinetic energy and graphical change
2) total ICE energy and graphical change
3) total battery energy and graphical change
4) vehicle potential energy and graphical change (if it has a GPS receiver)

For good measure, I would also like a USB memory stick socket to record engineering data from each trip. Of course this is a little beyond just a tachometer.

http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/pri_power.html

Bob Wilson

Old 10-05-2006, 08:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think most people have no clue what a tach is used for... so they left it out. A tach with a CVT does have some odd (but correct) behavior... for instance you can accelerate, while the tach remains at fixed point.... or you can be cruising at 65mph and notice a dip in rpms if you enter in a truck's draft.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:13 AM

A tach is valuable in telling you when you might damage the ICE and telling you when the ICE is actually off (when not moving ofcourse). It also lets you know if you idle speed is set correctly.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:59 AM

It's hard to damage the ICE with a CVT and drive by wire. The computer won't let you.

Old 10-05-2006, 04:33 PM

But again, a tach provides valuable information other than if you are going to damage the engine. Even if one isn't shown on the instrument cluster, Toyota could have provided it in a display you could bring up in the LCD screen. That would have actually been cheaper than a physical gauge.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:28 PM

I agree, a tach is nice, and it comes with the HCH... it helps me figure out if the CVT is maximized or not.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Resist
But again, a tach provides valuable information other than if you are going to damage the engine.
Have you ever seen/heard any Prius engine was dameged because of lack of tachometer?

Ken@Japan

Old 10-07-2006, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by ken1784
Have you ever seen/heard any Prius engine was dameged because of lack of tachometer?
I'm not saying the engine will get damaged if a vehicle doesn't have one. I am saying a tach provides driver feedback about the engine. When you are used to having a tach, you really miss that information when you don't have it.

Quick Reply: Why No Engine Tachometer?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands