ICE tachometer replacement needed, why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Enthusiast
Default ICE tachometer replacement needed, why?

I brought my FEH'06 4WD for it's routine tuneup and told the service rep that I was having a problem with my ICE where the engine would rev (almost spike) to 4,000 & 6,000 rpms while excellerating to highway speed when entering the highway. I've done this before in other cars and my last SUV, and the ICE would rev up to 2,500 rpms, possibly almost as high as 3,000 rpms, nowhere near 4,000-6,000.

They checked my engine and said I needed a new Tachometer. Since the Tachometer is not a single component, they would have to order a cluster.

Now, I'm not a mechanic, but if my engine is responsing to the rpms listed on the Tachometer. I'm not getting false readings since the engine responds to the rpms indicated.

Why would I need a new Tachometer?

Old 06-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: ICE tachometer replacement needed, why?

The system(s) in the FEH behave much differently from a conventional vehicle, and revving up to high RPMs is normal under certain circumstances. If you request that much torque, the ICE will rev up to its most efficient RPMs to deliver the requested torque. The RPMs don't correspond to speed/gearing... all that goes out the window with the eCVT.

I think you're tach was faulty for other reasons (showing RPMs when the ICE wasn't even running).

Old 06-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My 2005 FEH AWD will often rev to 4,000 to 5,000 if I'm heavy with the throttle. I normally take my time and keep the revs about 3,000 when merging on the freeway. The acceleration at 3K is fast enough for normal merging. I find just a minor adjustment to the throttle will have a large impact on engine RPMs when accelerating or climbing a long grade.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Depending on how hard you're pressing the pedal, 4K on the tachometer shouldn't be that unusual. Keep in mind the ICE is a smaller engine than most SUV's, and as mentioned, tries to make sure you have enough power.

I often have 4K on the tach when I get onto the expressway, but through fake shifting (taking my foot of the accelerator for a moment, then re-applying pressure), I can minimize time spent there to just a few seconds.

As to whether you need a new one or not, I can't say.

Old 06-04-2006, 12:40 AM
It is easy being green

My ford tec boyfriend boyfriend said that "the tachometer would prob not fix anything seeing as the FEH gas engine is known as an Atkinson engine. It seems to work like a lawnmower engine the cam lobes keep the valves open longer thus giving you the sensation of higher rmps. This sounds like a normal charestic for the engine/hybrid."

Old 06-04-2006, 08:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

Unless you are certain that your tachometer is malfunctioning, I wouldn't let them touch it! They should have been able to tell you that such rpm fluctuations are normal. You might want to consider using a different dealer service department if there is another one nearby.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

As stated, earlier, I think his tach was malfunctioning based on his description that it was showing RPMs (below 1000) while in EV mode.

Old 06-04-2006, 11:18 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Well, slight correction, I was thinking of 3K, with 4K at the more extreme end of acceleration.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Enthusiast

Actually the tachometer was not showing any rpm's while in EV mode, that was my mistake for describing it wrong - sorry about that randyKato.

I asked my service rep about the tachometer and why it would affect my engine (since it was also reving while the tcho displayed 4k-6k rpms) and he said that I was thinking to hard about this and just let them worry about the technical stuff. I told him that It is within my right to worry aboout my FEH which I invested both my time and money. I asked him a few more generalised questions about the Tachometer and he said that unfortunately he was not a technician and could not answer these questions. I asked to speak to a technicians and he refused (saying they were busy). I asked him is he could pose the question to the technician and get back to me and he gave me the run around. I finally gaveup.

It's amazing. This guy was so nice to me when I brought my FEH to get it serviced but once I showed interest into what they were doing to my FEH, he got all defensive on me. They are ordering the new cluster part but I don't think I will let them install it into my FEH. Besides, since the tuneup, my FEH has been acting as expected and has even improved slightly in mpg... perhaps from the new oil change?

Old 06-16-2006, 07:30 AM
Hybrid_SUV_Owner
Exclamation Re: ICE tachometer replacement needed, why?

Originally Posted by haskellf
Actually the tachometer was not showing any rpm's while in EV mode, that was my mistake for describing it wrong - sorry about that randyKato.

I asked my service rep about the tachometer and why it would affect my engine (since it was also reving while the tcho displayed 4k-6k rpms) and he said that I was thinking to hard about this and just let them worry about the technical stuff. I told him that It is within my right to worry aboout my FEH which I invested both my time and money. I asked him a few more generalised questions about the Tachometer and he said that unfortunately he was not a technician and could not answer these questions. I asked to speak to a technicians and he refused (saying they were busy). I asked him is he could pose the question to the technician and get back to me and he gave me the run around. I finally gaveup.

It's amazing. This guy was so nice to me when I brought my FEH to get it serviced but once I showed interest into what they were doing to my FEH, he got all defensive on me. They are ordering the new cluster part but I don't think I will let them install it into my FEH. Besides, since the tuneup, my FEH has been acting as expected and has even improved slightly in mpg... perhaps from the new oil change?
I would RUN, not walk away. It sound from your description that your FEH is fine. This guy(dealer) sounds like trouble.

If you're still concerned...find another dealer, IMHO.

Nate

Quick Reply: ICE tachometer replacement needed, why?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands