Tailgate dimensions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 04:58 PM
Enthusiast
Default Tailgate dimensions?

Can anyone tell me what the widest load you can get into the 06 Prius is?

My wife is an artist and these things are important....

Thanks

Graham

Old 04-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Tailgate dimensions?

The hatchback opening about 6" off the "floor" of the back is 38.5 inches across. It's hard to get a feel for the dimensions. You are better off going to a dealer and measuring yourself. If they don't have one, you can usually get them to call you when one arrives.

Difficult to get a set of golf clubs in, but possible. There are two alcoves behind (toward the back of the car) the back wheels. A single golf bag with clubs just fits, you kind of have to jam it in.

Last edited by pocketpenguin; 04-27-2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:56 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS

Grajan,I have a reason-greyhounds are leggy dogs- and we trade off sleeping and driving when we travel.The wife and I trade,not Phoebe(mutt),she just sleeps.
Pocketpenguin is right, it would be a good idea to have her check it out.
However, he must be talking about putting clubs in with the back seats still up. I don't know Jack about Golf, but you can get at least 3-4 sets in there with the seats down.
The opening is ~38" wide and 26" tall.There is about 69" of length with the front seats in a midway back position.
Now you can't fit a 69x38x26' object in there because the height tapers toward the hatch.
There is about 37" of at least 26" height.There is then about 32" more of at least 17" of height.There is about 4" more where it tapers from about 16" to about 8-10 or so.
You could get a decent sized piece in there.
If it is a framed painting-maybe 1" thick- you could put it in diagonally(one side on the carpet,one side near the roof) and get a 56"x43" painting in there.It tapers toward the back so the longest painting would be about 69x39.5.
For a little car it has a lot of volume.
You might eyeball a Honda Fit. It has more internal height-and almost as much length(about 60"). It might be a little more suitable if her stuff is big in all 3 dimensions.
Luck,Charlie

Old 05-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks guys,
She ended up getting a Vibe. Guess I will ge the Prius for my next upgrade.

Graham