Tailgate Gas Shock Failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Tailgate Gas Shock Failure

Well it has become a lot colder here and as a result when I put up my tailgate it hit me in the head, both gas shocks had failed.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:54 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default Re: Tailgate Gas Shock Failure

yep...mine are getting soggy (at least one is on the way out) cold seems to kill them pretty fast on every car I have had that uses them.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Me too - banged my head the other day because it was lower than usual. I guess they are covered under warranty? Or, do they have to completely fail because I can push the door right up and they hold.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Well, it dipped way down into the 40's today and they still are holding up. It is so cold here, my kids had to put on jackets this morning!

Old 12-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

It is going to be 17-19F here in North Texas tonight! My mileage is suffering. I am down to 18.9 average on the DIC. Should I do a grill block?

Old 12-09-2009, 07:44 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default put a block heater in it

Originally Posted by txav8r
It is going to be 17-19F here in North Texas tonight! My mileage is suffering. I am down to 18.9 average on the DIC. Should I do a grill block?
that way the car is almost instantly warm when you start driving. the oil heats up faster, the heater works almost instantly and it only costs a few cents in electricity.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, but the MPG is much less from warm weather to cold weather...I am not worried about cabin temp because you are right, it gets warm inside fast because it is electric heat! My Prius gets 47.5 average summer and 44.5 average winter just because the thing has cold air blowing through the radiator and takes longer to warm the engine. And in Texas, a block heater won't do much, it is the radiator. The Prius also has a "thermos" that the coolant flows into when you shut the car off and then pumps it back into the radiator again when you start it...just to try to cut down on the warm up. Grill block mods are big on the Prius and was just wondering if anyone has tried it on your Hybrid SUV or Pickup. You just want to monitor the engine/coolant temp and not let it get too warm. If it is below 60F outside, it is not much issue on the Prius...just don't know the numbers on the Silverado.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by txav8r
I didn't think it got that cold anywhere in Texas!

Old 12-10-2009, 06:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Tailgate Gas Shocks are covered under the regular warranty. Its -2F here today. I have not installed a front grill cover, I just use the remote start, it is good for 10 mins and then everything seems okay.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

We generally don't have more than a night or two in the year that gets down that cold. Dang Canadian airmasses! But I don't remember it this cold this early...just looked at the records and it was 11F here on that day in 1898! It will get up to 42F today and then above freezing day and night after Friday through next week. But talk about extremes...I have to fly a trip to Calif. tonight and then to YYZ tomorrow! Up there in ya'lls neck of the woods. I think the high temp is going to be 21F/-5C or so in YYZ. But to stick to the thread, the extreme temperature swings play havoc on oil and gas shocks down here too!

Quick Reply: Tailgate Gas Shock Failure

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands