Self-Parking Prius

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 04:41 PM
mrv
Enthusiast
Default Re: Self-Parking Prius

Originally Posted by heavenleigh
as an insurer, its a disaster...would an accident during parking be at-fault? not at-fault (since the driver didn't do it himself)? would people try to hold Toyota liable if the parking didn't end well?
Well, the driver has to keep his foot on the brake pedal, or the auto-park will not work. The driver controls the speed of the reverse, by using the brake pedal. You have to press a disclaimer "I agree" screen before the car will start the auto-park sequence. The driver has to set up the parallel parking location in the computer in the first place. It's all under the driver's control, except for the actual turning of the wheel when under reverse and auto-park control.

Old 10-17-2005, 05:04 PM
Enthusiast

This video was great thanks for sharing. It'd be a cool feature, but I think not as critical to me as Navigation has become (though when I got that I didn't think I'd use it as much as I do).

--
Hillary

Old 10-17-2005, 07:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Okay so the video's kinda cool but really...

I'm with IMAHybrid in that parallel parking is 1) no difficulty to me at all and 2) it's not even something I have to do very often - at least nowhere near as often as would make the added package in the Prius a profitable option.

And did anyone else think the process took waaaaaay too long? Like almost dangerously long? Dude's sitting there tap tap tapping away to widen the radius of the turn and in that same time either someone not paying great attention could have nailed him or someone like me would have just snuck in the old-fashioned turn-the-wheel yourself way and jacked his spot right out from under him. I dunno man.