Prius - at or under MSRP?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 03:35 PM
Happy Hybrid Owner
Question Prius - at or under MSRP?

Hi all you Prius folks! I've had my FEH for six months now, I love it, and I'm seriously thinking of trading in my other (non-hybrid) Escape for a Prius after the first of the year. Is there anywhere in the country where one can get a Prius for under MSRP? I got my FEH for $1,000 under, WAY up in northern NY; around Ithaca, where I live, they were charging a premium. I am just wondering if there are any "pockets" of low demand for Prii, where I might get one for a little less than in other parts.

Also, does anyone know why there are so few red Prii? I went to Toyota's website, and it seems to be offered in that color, but I've NEVER seen one on the road. Seems like the nicest color to me.

Any tips anyone can give me as to which options are "necessities" or definitely worth the price would be appreciated, as well. Basically I'm going to be using it for my daily, 40-mile round trip commute, and maybe for some long trips also. And of course, trying to hypermile it if I can!

Old 10-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Prius - at or under MSRP?

Originally Posted by sweetbeet
Hi all you Prius folks! I've had my FEH for six months now, I love it, and I'm seriously thinking of trading in my other (non-hybrid) Escape for a Prius after the first of the year. Is there anywhere in the country where one can get a Prius for under MSRP? I got my FEH for $1,000 under, WAY up in northern NY; around Ithaca, where I live, they were charging a premium. I am just wondering if there are any "pockets" of low demand for Prii, where I might get one for a little less than in other parts.

Also, does anyone know why there are so few red Prii? I went to Toyota's website, and it seems to be offered in that color, but I've NEVER seen one on the road. Seems like the nicest color to me.

Any tips anyone can give me as to which options are "necessities" or definitely worth the price would be appreciated, as well. Basically I'm going to be using it for my daily, 40-mile round trip commute, and maybe for some long trips also. And of course, trying to hypermile it if I can!
I live in the mid-Hudson valley and I found no pocket of low demand .. With the high demand for the Prius, I would guess Toyota steers the production to wherever they are needed, and not leave 'excess' for lower sales areas. But you never know. I found many dealers doing MSRP. I just went to a dealer that was in my work area and .. when I looked at a Prius a couple of years ago.. not every Toyota dealer was 'fluent' in Prius. So i went with an experienced Prius seller.

Good Luck. I can't wait until January

Old 10-07-2005, 07:44 AM
Dan
MPG Centurion

I found quite a few that would take MSRP. I'd go to toyota.com and do a build-your-own option. Print a bunch of copies of the page and take it with you to dealers.

I wrote a blog entry that has what I'll pay, although I don't think any of the dealers I'm working with know what a blog is.

Also go to Toyota.com and choose "locate a dealer". You may have to choose from a large geographic radius so get neighbouring zip codes. Find all the dealers you would be willing to buy from fill out the "contact dealer" form for each. I put a "what-I-will-pay" statement in the free form text. I find that the dealers that check email offer much better deals than the dealers that try the traditional face-to-face pressure sale. I also avoid phone-calls at all costs. Emails or Voicemails leave a record. Phone calls to not.

Well it may all be for not. I have dealers willing to sell at MSRP, but until I get the car, I'll never know if they are lying.

Ohh.. one final note... search the members area for people in your area and find out who they bought from. A referal is always best, plus some dealers will give the referer free oil change or free gas, or whatever.

Old 10-07-2005, 09:43 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

Originally Posted by Dan
I found quite a few that would take MSRP. I'd go to toyota.com and do a build-your-own option. Print a bunch of copies of the page and take it with you to dealers.
Also go to Toyota.com and choose "locate a dealer". .... I find that the dealers that check email offer much better deals than the dealers that try the traditional face-to-face pressure sale. I also avoid phone-calls at all costs. Emails or Voicemails leave a record. Phone calls to not.

... search the members area for people in your area and find out who they bought from. A referal is always best, plus some dealers will give the referer free oil change or free gas, or whatever.
Dan, All great suggestions. One more I might add, that i have found works during my hybrid shopping. Althought dealers must know 99.9999% of the customers shop around, I am upfront and honest and tell the dealer I am seriously considering "the other guys". I was at a Toyota dealer last night and told them I just came from a Honda dealer and was seriously considering the HCH. Now he know he is not just competing against other Toyota dealers but other manufacturers. After I said this the Toyota dealer even eluded to possibly doing a deal a little under MSRP or maybe getting me in the 2005 demo/rental car they have "yet to try and sell" once the 2006's arrive. Again until I put my money on the table, I will never know how honest he was.

Bottom line... we are shopping for high demand cars, so dealers are not having to offer any $$$ incentive to make a deal. All the incentive they need is the gas station on the corner !

Old 10-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Enthusiast

i was figuring on waiting until MSRP is announced before I contact the dealers (planning on doing it via e-mail) because I wanted to have a number to tell them I was willing to pay. I don't want to end up doing much negotiating, except if they are willing to give me extra options for less than msrp. In all honesty, I'd just as soon have a 2005 as a 2006 - and I know that any chance of doing so will be gone soon. Should I go ahead and e-mail the dealers now? Thanks =)

Old 10-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Dan
MPG Centurion

Don't forget about the tax break. You don't get it on an 05 no matter when you buy it. So the only reason to buy a '05 is if you can get it for $2500 less than an '06. Here's the math.

Lets say you buy an '05 after TT&L & delivery for $25,000. You list it on your taxes and, assuming your at about the 30%-35% percent bracket, which most are, you get a cool $650 off of your taxes ($2000/3, that's how deductions work). After your refund from uncle sam, your out of pocket was $24,350.

Now do the same for 06, and just for grins lets say that they jack up the MSRP a cool $1k. So same 06 with the markup is $26,000. Now since you waited till January (another condition) uncle sam knocks the full $3100 off of your taxes, or add it to your refund (notice since it's a credit you don't divide by three to get the real value). So now your out of pocket is $22,900. Heck if you sell it the day you get your refund, you will probably make a profit.

Old 10-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Enthusiast

i had been under the impression that it didn't matter if you bought a 2005, if you could find a way to take delivery of it after January 1. so then you'd likely pay under the 25k MSRP, because it's a 2005, as WELL as get the 3000 credit.

It's entirely possible I got that impression out of sheer hopefullness though - we shall see

Old 10-08-2005, 06:20 PM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

Originally Posted by sweetbeet
..... I am just wondering if there are any "pockets" of low demand for Prii, where I might get one for a little less than in other parts....
The Toyota dealer I am working with said his dealer ship has sold almost twice the number of '05 Prius's they were alocated. When asked how they did that, he explained they use their "locator" service to find dealers with Prius in stock and then trade the other dealer. He said they send a lot of pickup trucks to the south and in turn got a lot of Prius's from dealers in the south. If that was the case, I would say the south might be a "pocket".

...of couse the same dealer that told me the above, also opend the hood, pointed to the electric motor and said, "and there is the Battery" !! I said, I thought the battery was in the back. his answer..."Nope it is up front, that is why the car gets great traction!"

Honestly, for now, I think MSRP is the best most of us will do.

Old 10-08-2005, 07:58 PM
aha
Active Enthusiast

FYI, I was offered $200 below MSRP from 2 dealers but one dealer only wants to do MSRP.