Is it possible to pay less than MSRP on a Prius.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:46 AM
Clueless Enthusiast
Default Is it possible to pay less than MSRP on a Prius.

Hi Everyone,

The best deal I can seem to make on a Prius is full list price and no special financing. If anyone out there is getting a better deal I'd appreciating hearing about how you did it.

Thanks,

Eric

Old 04-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Is it possible to pay less than MSRP on a Prius.

Prices tend to get higher when gas goes up and soften when prices go down. If you can wait, October/November is a good time.

Also, look at the Ebay completed listings.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Eric,

Back in January 2006, I paid full price, and the "only" version the dealer could get was the fully loaded one.....hummm...

Paula

Old 04-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Enthusiast

Depends on where you are. If you have a lot of dealers around, you should be able to find one that you would like to work with. Depends on local demand too. I expect your chances for a bargain will decrease as we head into the summer and gas prices head even higher. I did not see any special financing deals while I was looking for mine a couple of weeks ago (Toyota was offering 7.49%, but you should be able to do better if you line up outside financing instead - try FirstAgain or, if you are eligible, USAA). Hardly surprising, as the Prius has always sold itself without the need for any incentives.

However, I paid about $800 less than MSRP for mine. I just emailed the Internet Sales Manager at a dealership that someone else in my area had rated highly, and she immediately gave me a quote. There is a thread on PriusChat where folks post info on dealers and pricing. Many have reported better deals than I got.

Last edited by yams69; 04-28-2008 at 01:05 PM. Reason: updated finance rates
Old 04-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Engineering first

First off, Welcome to the CLUB!

As a first time poster here, we appreciate your insights:

Originally Posted by yams69
Depends on where you are. If you have a lot of dealers around, you should be able to find one that you would like to work with. Depends on local demand too. I expect your chances for a bargain will decrease as we head into the summer and gas prices head even higher. I did not see any special financing deals while I was looking for mine a couple of weeks ago (Toyota was offering 7.49%, but you should be able to do better if you line up outside financing instead - try FirstAgain or, if you are eligible, USAA). Hardly surprising, as the Prius has always sold itself without the need for any incentives.

However, I paid about $800 less than MSRP for mine. I just emailed the Internet Sales Manager at a dealership that someone else in my area had rated highly, and she immediately gave me a quote. There is a thread on PriusChat where folks post info on dealers and pricing. Many have reported better deals than I got.
Bob Wilson

Old 04-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ouch, 7.49% seems high. We got the TCH through the credit union at 4.75%, they have a green rate which is 1% less than the regular rate of 5.75%. It may be down to 4.5% now............

Old 04-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Enthusiast

Back in '04 Costco members could get $300 of in N. California.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Enthusiast

Back in '04 Costco members could get $300 off in N. California. My recollection is that you could get a list of participating dealers online from the Costco site. I also think I called the Costco 800# from the website and they didn't ask for any sort of member # just what area I lived in. I requested dealers in a less affluent area than where I live and found the discount greater. You might try an area 100 miles from where you live and keep in mind warranty work can be done by any Toyota dealer.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Is it possible to pay less than MSRP on a Prius.

ABSOLUTELY! I Paid Dealers Invoice with very few fees For A Specially Ordered In
2008 Prius Touring In Silver Pine Mica With Bisque Leather Interior.
I am Located In Mohave County, Arizona And Bought This Car At A Neighborhood Dealer!
Not So Funny Thing However, While Trying At The Big Time Las Vegas, Nevada Dealers
THEY FLAT OUT WOULD NOT GIVE UP A 2008 PRIUS TOURING FOR UNDER 28K?
So Much For "GETTING A BARGAIN AT A BIG CITY CAR DEALERSHIP."
My Suggestion would be to Use Edmunds.com or CarsDirect.com's suggested dealers first.

Options for Vehicle
Package #6 - Touring Edition $4,163.
Alloy Wheel Locks $ 65.
Preferred Accessory Package $ 277.
Glass Breakage Sensor $ 165.
Rear Bumper Applique $ 65.
Total TMV® = Vehicle Options $4,755.
Destination Charge $ 660.
Total New Vehicle Price $26.632.

I forgot about my trade-in. A 2006 Saturn Vue I received $13.500 for that NONE Of The Las Vegas Dealers would do!

Last edited by chimemaker1; 04-29-2008 at 05:55 PM. Reason: added trade-in info
Old 04-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Clueless Enthusiast
Cool Re: Is it possible to pay less than MSRP on a Prius.

Well... I went ahead an ordered a Prius and got a pretty good price (I think). My company has a discount deal with various manufacturers, Toyota being one of them. Four of the Toyota dealers I called said that the discount program didn't include Priuses. One of the dealers said that they would sell me a Prius at $500 less than MSRP. The last dealer quoted a price of $350 over invoice price! What a shocker! I took that last quote to my local Toyota dealer and they said that they would sell me one $500 over invoice and save me the 200 mile drive. I said SOLD!

So now I'm waiting for my Spectra Blue Mica Prius with option package 6 to show up. I was told it might be a long wait and that I might have to "settle" for Barcelona Red. My price before taxes and tags should be around $26,000 to $26,500. I'll have to keep my eyes open when I go to sign the papers!

I'm happy!! And surpised, I thought I'd never get one for less than MSRP.

So now I'm wondering; why would they sell me this car for less than full price when every Prius they have gets bought within a week? I assume they have a financial incentive to sell me the car but I can't figure out what it might be? Any ideas?

Eric (I'm already taunting my wife that I'm greener than she is )

Quick Reply: Is it possible to pay less than MSRP on a Prius.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands