Ev install question!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 02:37 PM
Enthusiast
Default Ev install question!

Want to purchase a ev mode switch!
Don't know much about it!
What are the advantages and what not?
Need to know how hard to install and best place $$ to buy! Jeff (mr Bosox) from Va

Old 09-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Ev install question!

Technically the switch is not complicated at all. It just needs to be a momentary switch, like the 'reset' button from a computer. The install is fairly simple in that you really need to put just one wire into a control module, the other wire is to be connected to ground (car chassis).

You can get the OEM EV button, but it's rather expensive, so it's up to you. Google around for some instructions (should be a PDF) with pictures and diagrams from the service manual.

The main advantage of using the EV button is that it can prevent the engine from coming on when you start the car, just push the button before the engine starts. This can help mitigate the warmup penalty, especially if you just want to move the car a little. Of course it's always fun to use it when you want to show off stealth mode to people.

Old 09-18-2005, 11:00 AM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Ev install question!

[QUOTE=Mr Bosox]Want to purchase a ev mode switch!
Don't know much about it!
What are the advantages and what not?
Need to know how hard to install and best place $$ to buy! Jeff (mr Bosox) from Va:DA good wed site to check out options for Prius ; 'www.sigmaauto.com/jdm/prius/prius0405.php'
That's where I got my mud flaps n bumper protector....

Good Luck, Max :)

Last edited by maxadyne; 09-18-2005 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Enthusiast

Better check what I saw posted on the website of a place that sold a kit to make the EV function work. It said basically' Caution, this will invalidate the warranty on the Prius'.

It mentions how the installation can easily be reversed, wink wink... But I wonder if they can tell if push comes to shove, if it is true about the warranty being invalid if the EV is operable.

Old 09-27-2005, 04:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Messing with the HV battery will invalidate the warranty, but using EV mode won't. The function is part of the car's normal operation, the only reason they didn't release the car with the button in the US is because of the testing procedures and how the car would be rated MPG wise in EV mode (they can't calculate the electrical useage).