2005 HCH stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 06:55 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2005 HCH stereo install

I just bought a 2005 HCH and i've been struggling with removing the stock stereo. I've followed whatever instructions I could find and got most of the way there. after pulling back the center console, there are 2 screws up underneath that need to be removed. got those out. however the 2005 seems to have a 3rd "bastard screw" holding everything in. I can feel the screw, but can't get any tool in there to remove it. It's actually a nut on a screw that needs to be removed. I'm not 100% sure this screw is holding things in, it could just be the 9 clips around the radio / AC unit. However, i've pushed pretty hard from the back and haven't gotten the unit to budge. I don't want to go prying at my dash either.

Anyone have experience with installing their own stereo in the 2005?

-matt

Old 03-30-2005, 07:15 PM
Enthusiast

I replaced the head unit on my 2005 HCH, and basically followed some removal instructions for a 2004 Civic. It's been a while, but if I remember right, you only need to take those two screws out and then the center unit should pop forward - it did require the use of a pipe wrench at the time, so some force (and a little prying) was necessary.

Old 03-30-2005, 07:25 PM
Enthusiast

I replaced the stock headunit in my 03 HCH with an aftermarket Alpine headunit without problem. Seems as though the 03 doesn't have the "bastard screw" you speak of.

It was a pretty simple process. I just popped out the two extra switch covers and pulled off the plastic section where the 12v power plug is. Then there are two screws up and inside there. Remove those then pry out the entire center section. Nice and simple.

Old 04-03-2005, 02:21 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2005 HCH stereo install

thanks for your responses guys. I finally managed to get the stock radio out today. turns out i was wrong and that third "bastard screw" was not securing the unit. It did take some doing to get the console out, however. I tried pushing it form the rear, but it wasn't budging. I finally popped off the dial for the fan control, grabbed the shaft with a pair of pliers, and yanked. had to pull really hard. that popped the clips on the left side, then I was able to get my fingers in and pop the right side clips.
Nice to have my old radio back.

-Matt

Old 06-15-2005, 09:50 PM
Eye am teh smartey

The part that drove me the most nuts was removing the shifter trim panel, none of the instructions I found mentioned that 4 critical screws were under it. I just pulled up on it and it popped off with a little force. Anyway I just installed a line-in adapter for the factory stereo and it works great, now I can play MP3s off my laptop through it. The adapter was quite a bit cheaper than a new stereo and much less of a theft-target. And really, this is the best sounding factory stereo I've ever owned.

Old 06-16-2005, 07:19 PM
Enthusiast

See this thread....(just for the searchability)
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...tall.1635.html

Old 06-18-2005, 10:05 AM
Enthusiast
Cool Re: 2005 HCH stereo install

I haven't crossed over into the MP3 generation yet (I bought my first digital camera only 2 weeks ago for my vacation). However, my '03 Civic did not have a tape deck, although my wife's 03 CRV did; I always kept telling myself that I had to find time to use my PC to convert all my tapes to CD. Needless to say I never found the time.

We had some difficulty with our '05 HCH delivery, and the dealer was more than happy to throw in a Civic tape deck as part of the deal. Now I can delay transitioning my tape collection. But when I do transition to MP3, I'll know what to do now. Thanks, all, for the information.