External XM receiver install question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 04:17 AM
Enthusiast
Default External XM receiver install question

I'm going to pass on the $1000 integrated XM option and go for one of the cheap XM plug n play units. A few questions:

1) Which receiver models allow for the direct AUX input connection? I assume this has the best sound quality.

2) What extra accessories do I need to make the direct AUX connection? Is it just one small cable to plug from the receiver to the input?

3) Which mode would I switch to on the Nav unit stereo to hear the sound?

Thanks in advance--Brad

Old 02-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: External XM receiver install question

Originally Posted by bfranci
I'm going to pass on the $1000 integrated XM option and go for one of the cheap XM plug n play units. A few questions:

1) Which receiver models allow for the direct AUX input connection? I assume this has the best sound quality.

2) What extra accessories do I need to make the direct AUX connection? Is it just one small cable to plug from the receiver to the input?

Thanks in advance--Brad
Any receiver with an Audio out will work. you just need a 3.5mm male to male cable. You can get them at radioshack for $3. Then just plug it into your AUX jack, and it will be all set.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

It's the CD/XM button (same as if you were piping an iPod through the stereo). It works great.

Last edited by AZMerf; 02-06-2006 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:52 AM
Enthusiast

I have the Nav radio so I imagine it's the CD/XM button for me?

I realize this question must sound stupid, but how does the receiver know which of the two to play when the button is hit, the XM receiver or the CD? Or does it just toggle between the two?

Thanks for all the help--Brad

Old 02-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Enthusiast

I have the Nav radio so I imagine it's the CD/XM button for me?

I realize this question must sound stupid, but how does the receiver know which of the two to play when the button is hit, the XM receiver or the CD? Or does it just toggle between the two?

Thanks for all the help--Brad
If you do not have the XM receiver uniot from Honda installed it defaults to the aux jack. If you do have it installed then you have to press it twice for aux.

Old 02-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Rarely post anything

bfranci - if you have a circuit city in your area, the 'original' Roady2 is now priced closeout at $20. At that price, it became my new 'temporary' receiver until the new XM 'recordable' receiver comes out (and has been out for a little while - no need for me to be an 'early adopter' for once...lol)

The only downside to the Roady2 is that the cables plug directly into the unit - there's no dock (but they do supply mounts)- so you have the cables visible. But for the price (and I was able to retrofit my old Sony's home kit to this unit , it's unbeatable.

Old 02-07-2006, 06:59 AM
Enthusiastically Active

I have a Roady XT which cost $35 after a $30 rebate. It comes with a dock and all equipment needed for install. Work great!

Old 02-07-2006, 07:00 AM
Enthusiast

Awesome, thanks for all the help. And my last question:

How did you mount the antenna and loop it back into the car?

Old 03-04-2006, 12:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Archslater
I have a Roady XT which cost $35 after a $30 rebate. It comes with a dock and all equipment needed for install. Work great!
Amazon.com has them now for $49.99 with 30 rebate and free shipping. Just ordered that and a power supply from one of the XM stores so I can hardwire it. So for less than $50 I will be all set. Didn't want to rip up my dash to install the XM kit or pay $$$ to have the dealer do it.

Old 03-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Enthusiast

Hi, my first post, I'm about to order the 2006 Hybrid Civic and like many feel a bit put out at the big price tag to really make the XM radio ready.
1. Any experience in the best aftermarket XM reciever?
2. Is it worth it to spring for $7-800 for the stock one?
3. Should I wait till the recordable unit is out and is that different than the little ones that record 5 hrs?

Quick Reply: External XM receiver install question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands