Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Enthusiast
Question Newbie

We just picked up our 2009 Limited. So far so good, I am getting 24.4mpg mixed highway/city.
I have a question, we live in some hilly areas and would like to use the "B" selection on the shifter. My question is will it hurt the vehicle to use this? The salesman was not to sure.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Newbie

The "B" just makes the engine turn with the valves nearly closed when you let off the gas. It's engine braking, and not totally necessary unless you're going down a long hill. If you use it too much I'd assume that it could hurt your regenerative braking, though if you don't use it when you should it could hurt your brakes.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:26 AM
Enthusiast

I use the B setting going down long mountian passes when the traction battery is fully chanrged. Under this condition the computer turns off the regen braking. This saves on brake wear.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

Toyota wouldn't have added this feature if it would hurt the vehicle in any way. The only thing it will hurt is your FE a bit if left in this position without a full traction battery, because some regenerative braking (hybrid "free lunch"!) is replaced partially by engine drag.

Pete