Lower mileage after new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Lower mileage after new tires?

Hi all. The OEM tires on my 2006 HiHy2WD lasted 3.5 years. They were pretty worn by the time I changed them but I was getting between 28-30 MPG on my 80 mile daily commute (highway with 3 trafic jam spots = both city & Hwy mileage). I replaced all 4 Michelin tires with new Goodyear Integrity tires and now I can't get over 26 MPG under the same driving conditions and using the same driving style. What gives? Has anyone have this same problem?

Old 05-07-2009, 04:13 AM
Automania Enthusiast
Default Re: Lower mileage after new tires?

Originally Posted by 06FlaToHiHy2WD
Hi all. The OEM tires on my 2006 HiHy2WD lasted 3.5 years. They were pretty worn by the time I changed them but I was getting between 28-30 MPG on my 80 mile daily commute (highway with 3 trafic jam spots = both city & Hwy mileage). I replaced all 4 Michelin tires with new Goodyear Integrity tires and now I can't get over 26 MPG under the same driving conditions and using the same driving style. What gives? Has anyone have this same problem?
That's usually a normal observation when you install new tires. I also think the Michelin's have less roll resistance then the Goodyears, as we noticed that on the wife's Prius when they were just changed.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:00 AM
Engineering Professor

Originally Posted by 06FlaToHiHy2WD
You should ask on this site (and/or others) before taking either a tire or Toyota dealer's advice. There are much better tires for your car than the GY Integrity (for example the Michelin tires that came with your car - I now run on Nokian WRg2 tires which are great tires). Don't expect a long treadwear life with your new Integrity tires.

What air pressure are you running in the new tires? Look on the sidewalls for the rated maximum PSI (probably 44) and pump your tires up to a little below that pressure. I run my Prius at 42 psi in the front and 40 in the rear, the differential is to account for the different weight of the car (front/rear) so check on the door jamb to see Toyota's recommended difference for your HiHy.

JeffD

Old 06-11-2009, 05:37 AM
Enthusiast

If you have a NAV system you can re-calibrate after a new tire change.
<menu>, <setup>, scroll down to <calibration>, <adjust>, <TIRE CHANGE>
This works on my Prius and my wifes HiHy.